Bonaire Exit/reentry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have you seen what the occasional rogue waves do to the shore? Up near Lighthouse Point there USED TO BE 2 very large artificial rock reefs jutting out about 20-30 feet from shore. We have dived that area frequently for 25 years. The rocks were big, damn big. They are mostly gone now.

This is Bonaire. IF you could convince them to put anything in (doubtful), I'm pretty sure it would not stand the test of time and weather.
That is apparently an issue of design and may be site specific.

It's getting screwed up enough by 'success'. Make it easier and it will really go to hell. Nothing like success to ruin a place.

certainly an unfortunate Byproduct of success to be sure and clearly there are sites that wouldn’t be a fit. I’m not suggesting ‘all’ sites by any stretch.

I guess there will always be the perennial arguments Like : ‘too many people come now’ and ‘people who have been coming for over 10 years should take a step back and let new people enjoy the place and stop hogging the experience’ etc..

more a case of wondering if any other shore diving locations would have done it a bit differently if you turned back the clock although Bonaire is definitely it’s own beast.. nature tends to control ‘where’ people enter the water, but over time I wonder stinpa etc. Wouldn’t have preferred to create man made entry and exits to limit wider erosion along the shoreline.

Part of the fun of diving Bonaire is finding your way in and out of the various dive sites. Some are much easier than others and even on the same site a dozen yard can make a big difference. Let it be and enjoy!

The island is pretty ugly, in my opinion, don’t think some low jetty’s would take away from anything visually on the surface and may help improve the beauty underwater.
Ugly?! Come on! Not everything here is brilliant, but if you get out of Kralendijk, the environment is pretty pretty! :)

Desert surrounded by ocean! Best of both worlds!

Snowbird paradise!

Desert surrounded by ocean! Best of both worlds!

Snowbird paradise!
This is the reason I went to Bonaire in the first place 27 years ago. Plus the fact that it was out of the hurricane belt. Also that it had been protected for many years.

Human modifications in nearshore environments rarely last long. One storm can damage steps, decks, ladders and the like. Whatever installation is made is going to require constant maintenance, so there's not just the initial cost to consider but costs for the next X number of years. In addition there are potential liability issues to consider if access points become damaged/broken and someone gets injured because it wasn't maintained. Bonaire has a great range of sites - some are easy to access, some are hard. For those that want to access places that might be considered hard, then there's always the option of a boat dive. I think leaving things in their natural state is often the best way to go. Just my two cents.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom