Valve drill issues with drysuit undies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

youve just written off all divers with a disability that dont fit your box
Yes, but....do you really want to go tech when you're not able to do a tech dive safe? Rule no. 1 in tech is: if you can't do the dive safe, then don't dive! I'am having trouble also with valve drills due to a bad back. When I'am not able to get around these problems, I will look for an other solutions. Maybe rebreather or restrict myself to rec dives. What I'am not going to do is dive to 70+ metres and find out down there I can't do a shut down when something goes out of the ordinary. I won't do that dive with others who can't too.

Just my opinion, and btw it's not my box. It's the tech training organizations box.

Do you simply need to reach the valves because if that’s so if you undo the waist band you could toss those doubles out over your head if needed but if that doesn’t fit the rules then you’re caught.

Do you simply need to reach the valves because if that’s so if you undo the waist band you could toss those doubles out over your head if needed but if that doesn’t fit the rules then you’re caught.
lol I suppose you could !! id do whatever it took to stay alive - ill worry about pretty another time

Hi.
If I may say beside all the tricks with the suit, you should also focus on the way you are reaching the valves.
As one poster has mentioned already, the elbow should be in front of you before you move and not in the plan outside your body. And one hand should be enough; you need the other hand for other things such as signaling with the light or switching reg and so on...

4- if problem still persists, use your head and neck muscles as extra leverage. It is common to see people place the heal of their right hand on the back of the head, then push their head back until their fingers make contact with the valve. However, a slightly modified method can also be used to reach the left and right posts. First, place the heal of the hand (palm facing backwards) on the back / side of the head (4 o'clock position for right post) and push back and outwards. This will guide your hand to the wheel. Once there you can grip and maintain enough purchase to effectively manage the wheel.

Not the best picture, but here is a photo of a student using the head push method to overcome lack of shoulder mobility.

Screenshot_20200519-101520~2.png

actually it is - your making up stuff that fits your narrative - show me a training manual that it has to be done a certain way and ill apologise - how you do it is not as important as being able to get it done-
GUE and IANTD won't grant you a Tech certificate if you're not doing a valve drill as supposed by their SOP. And I won't be diving with you if you can't do it right. But it's up to you if you want to do things your way. Good luck in finding a buddy that will dive with you :)

AJ:
GUE and IANTD won't grant you a Tech certificate if you're not doing a valve drill as supposed by their SOP. And I won't be diving with you if you can't do it right. But it's up to you if you want to do things your way. Good luck in finding a buddy that will dive with you :)
That’s your loss, I’d sooner be in the water with someone that can improvise and overcome obstacles than someone with their head stuck in a rule book while they run out of air.

AJ:
There may be a number of legitimate reasons for refusing to dive with someone but, for me, this isn't one of them.

Now, not buying a post dive pint when it's your round, that's a deal-breaker right there!

Not the best picture, but here is a photo of a student using the head push method to overcome lack of shoulder mobility.

View attachment 586917

Good example of my post, notice the location of the elbow, how vertical the diver is, which then drops the tanks lower on the body and moves the valve farther away. In that position of arm/body you are now fighting to reach the valves.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom