Which Hawaiian island is best for shore diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

janscuba

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Now that there are flights to Hawaii I'd like to book a trip but to which island should I fly if we are limited to shore diving? Hubby doesn't do well on boats.

You are aware they have extended the 14 day quarantine, correct? So you have to shelter in place once you arrive for 2 weeks and can only leave to seek medical attention.

They are arresting violators. Hawaii residents keep eye out for visitors who break quarantine
Yes. That's thru June 30. I'm looking at July or August. What is the best place to monitor the quarantine status of Hawaii? Got any shore diving advice?

The Star Advertiser is probably as good as anything. I only lived on Maui, and I worked on boats, so I'm not super familiar with shore diving. Maui was pretty good for shore diving, but I heard that Big Island was better.

I know they are dying for business though, so I'm sure your travel would be appreceatted!

I have only dove off of Oahu (and only once), but the shore dives on the North Shore can be really nice. Three Tables is a sand beach walk in. Shark's Cove is a bit more challenging of a walk in/out but is a wonderful dive. Waimea Bay is also a sand walk in, but a longer walk with gear. All of the north shore is a beautiful area.

Big Island. Imho. Dive shops just partially reopened. I’d call some if I were you before risking $ on trip. 14 day quarantine is killing tourism but when it’ll be lifted idk. Big Island has very few cases and no fatalities btw. Kona side is where the diving is. But Maui is very nice too. Maui has sandier beach entry’s too, generally. Big Island is a still growing volcanically active place and lava is still unweathered. Hard soled booties and gloves really help if you’re shore diving.

I like Oahu for the wrecks and Maui for shore. The best dive by far though is the big island Manta dives. It’s what renewed my love of diving after taking off for 5 years. I would have to say it’s in my top 10. Diving since the late 80s and lucky to do a great deal of overseas dives. The Manta dive is unique and a must do for any diver. Cirque du Soleil of underwater diving experiences.

Big Island has by far the most opportunities and best sites for shore diving.

Now that there are flights to Hawaii I'd like to book a trip but to which island should I fly if we are limited to shore diving? Hubby doesn't do well on boats.

Big Island. I haven't read the whole thread, but the whole chain is under a 14 day quarantine for tourists who arrive by plane. Vacation rentals are shut down and hotels are issuing one use only keys for the day of arrival and will report guests to the police if they get locked out of their rooms and need to be let back in. We have created a terrible snitch culture.

There are Facebook groups being created to track people who "look like tourists" from the airport and post their photos on social media. This is NOT a place you want to visit right now. Any island.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom