Do you think computers encourage risky diving in new/ young divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I remember in my OW training that it was taught that after running out of NDL, especially under 5 minutes, the remedy was just to get shallower and recheck the NDL.
Here's the problem. He learned to dive before the computer era. He was taught to use tables, which do not have that option. Computers were not part of the curriculum then. People thought (and many still think) that we should drill students on a process they will never use in real life and barely mention the one they will use instead.

Do seat belts encourage risky driving of automobiles?

IMO, the answer to both is no.
Maybe. At a first glance, I'd say no as well, but it's really an empiric question.

As a counterpoint, consider helmets in American football. There is some ongoing research (and of course, controversy) about helmet use in the sport. The helmets are designed to reduce skull fractures, but are commonly believed to reduce concussions as well, which they don't. In fact, the research has the counterintuitive result that concussions have increased since helmet use became widespread. It could be due to the way the helmet changes the physics of a head hit, but this is unlikely. The most likely explanation is that hard helmets have given players a false sense of security, which has lead to more aggressive and dangerous behavior, hence the increase in concussion rates.

This is quite analogous to the question posed by the OP, and to your example of seat belts. I don't know the answer to any of the 3 cases, and if I were a gambling man I'd say computers are overall helpful (I use one myself, after all). My point is that questions like these are deceptively deep and complex, sometimes the obvious-looking answer ends up being incorrect.

Maybe. At a first glance, I'd say no as well, but it's really an empiric question.

As a counterpoint, consider helmets in American football. There is some ongoing research (and of course, controversy) about helmet use in the sport. The helmets are designed to reduce skull fractures, but are commonly believed to reduce concussions as well, which they don't. In fact, the research has the counterintuitive result that concussions have increased since helmet use became widespread. It could be due to the way the helmet changes the physics of a head hit, but this is unlikely. The most likely explanation is that hard helmets have given players a false sense of security, which has lead to more aggressive and dangerous behavior, hence the increase in concussion rates.

This is quite analogous to the question posed by the OP, and to your example of seat belts. I don't know the answer to any of the 3 cases, and if I were a gambling man I'd say computers are overall helpful (I use one myself, after all). My point is that questions like these are deceptively deep and complex, sometimes the obvious-looking answer ends up being incorrect.

Makes it a good conversation for lock down :)

I dont think so. Most divers have no clue what all is on the computer let alone being in a position to need the advanced capabilities of it. I do think that they ignore it too much and wait for the computer to beep like a radar range to tell them when their food is ready. Its a auto pilot for too many.

I dont think so. Most divers have no clue what all is on the computer let alone being in a position to need the advanced capabilities of it. I do think that they ignore it too much and wait for the computer to beep like a radar range to tell them when their food is ready. Its a auto pilot for too many.

So in a way yes. Without the computer they would have to plan the dives out.

So in a way yes. Without the computer they would have to plan the dives out.

the problem with dive planning is that most rec divers do not do planned dives. they dive and they are lookie loos until the spg says time to go. what kind dof nuc are you shore surface or sub.

Meh...everybody has a "that guy" story. Fun to chat about, but it's all anecdotal...as is my experience :). Much of my diving has been vacation/dive travel, recreational diving (the culprits in many stories) and I can count on my fingers the number of folks that have exhibited a lack of knowledge of what NDL means. I don't actively interrogate them and it doesn't mean they don't from time to time do silly things (we're all TOO human), but to chalk it up to DCs or poor training for those that enjoy once a year reef bimbles seems a bit over the top. All IMHO, YMMV. I don't know about you, but my gills are getting dry...:clearmask:

the problem with dive planning is that most rec divers do not do planned dives. they dive and they are lookie loos until the spg says time to go. what kind dof nuc are you shore surface or sub.

Sub

Define risky behavior.

When I went to NC and dove there on some wrecks like the Papoose 130FSW to the bottom, 90FSW to the top of the wreck, I extended my dive time by diving progressively shallower depths, pushing each NDL of the new depth to the limit. I was taking pictures of tropical fish, sharks and other life growing on the hull. I ascended at an angle moving on each time NDL got close. Not one to take chances with DCS I spent the about 10-12mins around the hang line 20 -15FSW taking videos. When in NC I only dive with doubles. After a 2hr SI we dove the Spur.

Anyway some could call that risky behavior and it is if the diver doesn't pay attention to what they are doing, a diver could slip into an unplanned DECO obligation.

Any DECO I do is planned, I don't do surprise DECO. It doesn't take a new diver, any diver not paying attention can get into DECO trouble if they have enough gas.

I hadn't read @Jonn post before I wrote mine. We differ a little in that I don't wait until deco I go within the 1min before the NDL is up, small difference I know, I do know I have enough air to do what I do which is why I use 96LP ID's in addition there a two regulators hanging at the hang line waiting for people that need more air.

@AfterDark

You are a VERY experienced diver. I'm pretty sure you know your air supply and how long you have. In other words you knew that you could do the multi level without running out of air.

I've heard people saying well my computer will get me my deco obligations so I'll just follow it. These are just out of AOW probably less than 25 dives.

That's what I call risky.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom