Cenote Diving near Playa Del Camen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TX_TC

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My wife and I are relative "newbies" to this wonderful pastime. (PADI Open Water Certified last summer by an AWESOME Instructor!)

We will HOPEFULLY be in Cancun / Playa Del Carmen at the end of August. (assuming this current hysteria dies down...:confused:) doing some Cenotes diving in that area. (I've heard SO much about this!)

What does anybody know of "Happy Manta Cenotes Diving", as far as Cenotes diving? I've been responding via email to a person there, trying to set some dives up. Anybody have any experience, (good, or bad) with them? If not therm, do you recommend anyone between PDC and Cancun?

AND...on a different, but related subject. Our hotel is about 30 minutes North of Playa Del Carmen. Their pickup is in PDC. What's your experience in renting and car, and driving in Mexico? I'd rather not, but a taxi ride that far might be more expensive than renting a car. What about parking IN PDC?

Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks!

I am not familiar with them. I use ProTec which has shops in Playa and Tulum. I have only used the Tulum shop but I think they switch staff between the shops when needed. I have always found ProTec to be professional, courteous, knowledge, and fun to be around. They will provide transportation from the shop to the cenote.

I have yet to rent a car in Mexico. Depending on the circumstances, I rely on Canada Transfers, ADO Bus, taxis, and occasionally a collectivo. If I was on your trip with my wife (and transportation was not part of lodging), I would use Canada Transfers (pre-book on line) to and from the hotel and a taxi to and from the dive shop. They will be waiting on you as you exit the terminal. Taxi fees may add up but may be less than a rental car with a lot less headaches. You may want to consider where you would drive a car and what parking is available.

I am sure you will get some other good recommendations too. Have fun, and we look forward to a report.

Thank you for the reply.

I do not know of ANY diving proprietors in the area, (outside of SCUBA World, in Cancun) I was looking on Tripadvisor, and this place (Happy Manta Cenotes Diving) had good reviews. However....just like on Amazon, and anyplace else, the reviews can be deceiving, I typically take the REALLY good ones, and the REALLY bad ones and throw them out. Forums, and places like this are good places to get (mostly) honest experiences from your fellow members.

Thanks for the advice, I already have transportation arranged from the Airport to the hotel with a VERY good company I have used in the past. I don't want to rent a car while I am in Mexico, but considering where I'm staying, (about 30 minutes N. of PDC) with no "on demand" bus service from the hotel to PDC, I will either have to pay a taxi, or rent a car. Getting the tour company at the hotel to do this....seems "pricey" :(

I don't think there are any mantas left anywhere near Playa so I don't know how happy any of them could be. Easiest thing would be to take a ADO or colectivo to Tulum, walk around, and talk to some of the shops. I tend to favor the small / owner-operated shops like Scuba Seven. This isn't just a summer job for Carlos, this is his life.

AND...on a different, but related subject. Our hotel is about 30 minutes North of Playa Del Carmen. Their pickup is in PDC. What's your experience in renting and car, and driving in Mexico? I'd rather not, but a taxi ride that far might be more expensive than renting a car. What about parking IN PDC?

Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Can I ask why you have already booked a hotel that is away from the mainstream?

And while we have rented vehicles in the past and driven all over the Yucatan, including the interior, I would not recommend that now (COVID-19 notwithstanding). There have been way too many "accidents" recently with regard to motorists throughout the Riviera Maya (both foreign and domestic).

Private transit would be my recommendation for anywhere you go, hence my initial question.

Going on bad memory, I think I paid the following for taxis several years ago:
1. $100 for a oneway trip between the airport and Tulum.
2. $35 for a oneway trip from the Playa ferry to Tulum.
3. $50 to 60 for a oneway trip from the Playa ferry to airport.

Seems like I have heard good things for Cenote Xperience too. YMMV but I would look for a guide who is full cave, dives a cave configuration(lots of backup), and is at least a cavern instructor with a technical agency.

Can I ask why you have already booked a hotel that is away from the mainstream?

And while we have rented vehicles in the past and driven all over the Yucatan, including the interior, I would not recommend that now (COVID-19 notwithstanding). There have been way too many "accidents" recently with regard to motorists throughout the Riviera Maya (both foreign and domestic).

Private transit would be my recommendation for anywhere you go, hence my initial question.

I booked a vacation at a "Totally Inclusive" resort in that area. (Flight, Hotel Stay) the decision to dive while there came in later.

TC

Going on bad memory, I think I paid the following for taxis several years ago:
1. $100 for a oneway trip between the airport and Tulum.
2. $35 for a oneway trip from the Playa ferry to Tulum.
3. $50 to 60 for a oneway trip from the Playa ferry to airport.

Seems like I have heard good things for Cenote Xperience too. YMMV but I would look for a guide who is full cave, dives a cave configuration(lots of backup), and is at least a cavern instructor with a technical agency.

The person I'm currently talking to, has all those qualifications. As previously mentioned, I have transportation arranged from the Airport to the Hotel. (at considerably than that)

Thanks,

TC

As you probably already know, most cenote dive operations pick up in PDC. However, there are some that will pick up 30 minutes from PDC, but they will likely charge more.

I have gone with CenoteXperience a few years back and I highly recommend them. Family-run. Very personable people.

Check out where the ADO station is where you are staying, the buses are nice with good ac and protec playa is only a few blocks from the bus station there. I have rented a car as well i think it was 50-75 a day. Fuel is expensive and parking can be a nightmare.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom