I have some news to share...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Today's 1 month!
I have no more cravings for nicotine.
But I've increased my runs from 3 to 6 a week.
Quit smoking in the middle of Corona while teleworking full time was somehow a bad idea for my weight.
I have to ditch a few kilos.
  • Congratulations, much credit to you! Banishing an unhealthy habit (cigarettes) is empowering--you will feel stronger, more confident, and you will be much healthier to enjoy the amazing underwater world of scuba diving!:yeahbaby:

I carried an open pack of cigarettes in my shirt pocket for 3 weeks after I smoked my last one.

I actually found that having them handy was less a temptation than what I had experienced by not having them in previous attempts

That's a no no for me at this moment. Not ready for that. Right now I stay faaaaar away from those white sticks and when my neighbor is smoking one on his terrace I close my window...

Persevere!!!

I WILL!!!! :cool:

A navy SEAL friend of mine taught me that success was a matter of "just one more." One more hour, one more day, one more evolution. Whatever the metic, just one more.

A navy SEAL friend of mine taught me that success was a matter of "just one more." One more hour, one more day, one more evolution. Whatever the metic, just one more.

that is the exact attitude i took when I quit in 97 and haven ever regretted the decision. Nor do I look down on those that have not made the same decision.

That's a no no for me at this moment. Not ready for that. Right now I stay faaaaar away from those white sticks and when smelling the neighbor smoking one on his terrace I close my window...
Like I said, it may not work for everyone. One thing that I failed to mention and should have, I suppose, is that I did not quit cold turkey. I gradually reduced the number of cigarettes I smoked each day over a period of 2-2½ weeks. The last day I smoked I had 2. The next day, I was going to smoke just 1 but I kept putting it off until it was time to go to bed and I thought, "Well, no use smoking one now." That was April 30, 1985. As important a date to me as my anniversary, wife's and kid's birthdays, etc.

Same here. I've been quit for 35 years now. I've gotten to the point where just a hint of cigarette smoke will close up my nasal passages to the point of just barely being able to breathe.

Actually, I carried an open pack of cigarettes in my shirt pocket for 3 weeks after I smoked my last one. Then I put them it in my desk drawer at work for a few weeks after that. I actually found that having them handy was less a temptation than what I had experienced by not having them in previous attempts. But this method may not work for everyone. Another factor that was different also between previous attempts and my last one was that I was finally determined to quit whereas in the failed attempts, I didn't really have my heart in it. Attitude and a real desire to quit are key.
I did the same as you carried a pack for three months and one day the urge was too great and I lite one up. That's what truly ended my smoking. It was so stale it dame near killed me. I started smoking at age nine and quit at twenty-one.

I have the last pack form the last carton still in my stuff somewhere with the year 1997 on it. Ill post it if I can find it. Real cheeze brand I think but it was less than 50c a pack on base.

I quit 30 years ago. One of the hardest things I`ve ever done. My philosophy was and is that the craving for a cigarette will pass weather you smoke one or not. I always go with the not. Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom