Fin selection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seconding (thirding?) the freedive fins recommendation. I am horribly addicted to all mine and hand carry them whenever I fly (I can even strap them to my backpack skateboard style).
I'm currently trying to find a pair of regular shorter scuba fins for tech stuff (wrecks, caves, etc) because the freedive fins don't always work well for that but it's really hard finding something that has anywhere near the effortless power of the long fins.
I'm willing to trade some of that for precision and the ability to move in tight spaces, but damn it's hard to go back.

I'm currently trying to find a pair of regular shorter scuba fins for tech stuff (wrecks, caves, etc) because the freedive fins don't always work well for that but it's really hard finding something that has anywhere near the effortless power of the long fins.

How short do you want them? Cressi ARAs are 20+" and IIRC their Reactions are a couple of inches longer still.

Seconding (thirding?) the freedive fins recommendation. I am horribly addicted to all mine and hand carry them whenever I fly (I can even strap them to my backpack skateboard style).
I'm willing to trade some of that for precision and the ability to move in tight spaces, but damn it's hard to go back.

Your statement confirms that choosing fins is indeed a very personal matter. I tried free diving fins (on several occasion and various models) and I hated them : I wasn't able to manage them properly, got cramps real quick (which seldom happens with my fins) and propulsion was lousy. :(

Obviously, it wasn't the right tool for me. I fear we tend to forget that too frequently and too easily : equipment is just that, a tool. Without the proper tool/equipment, the simplest thing becomes a true torture.

That's why I find this equipment bashing (jacket vs wing, SPG vs AI computers, whatever...) utterly unbearable : our body are different, our level of experience and training are different etc... so our NEEDS are different.

Sorry for being darn philosophical today, had a bad night :wink:

You may have over worked the long fins.
With good carbon fiber blades, let the blade to the work as it snaps back. Ankle flicks carry me a long way. Far less energy expended per distance.

You may have over worked the long fins.
With good carbon fiber blades, let the blade to the work as it snaps back. Ankle flicks carry me a long way. Far less energy expended per distance.

You're certainly right, but I never got the chance to try that kind of fins again, besides here in France carbon fins are dreadfully expensive, and no one around me is using those, so I'll stick to my regular fins a while longer :wink:

Hop over to Spain when borders open and take a look at Immersion: they offer open-heel pockets, scuba-length blades are available, and the price tag is not outrageous, at least looking from US. Shipping cost is, though :(

Thanks for the advice, I'm not so far from Spain btw, and I now some nice places to dive there. :) And your dead right, shipping from anywhere is always a killer :(

:D I am not far from Dive Right In Scuba: it's only a 4-5-hour drive depending on the traffic.

And I was complaining because I have to drive 150 km to the closest LDS... :confused:

Your statement confirms that choosing fins is indeed a very personal matter. I tried free diving fins (on several occasion and various models) and I hated them : I wasn't able to manage them properly, got cramps real quick (which seldom happens with my fins) and propulsion was lousy. :(

Obviously, it wasn't the right tool for me. I fear we tend to forget that too frequently and too easily : equipment is just that, a tool. Without the proper tool/equipment, the simplest thing becomes a true torture.

That's why I find this equipment bashing (jacket vs wing, SPG vs AI computers, whatever...) utterly unbearable : our body are different, our level of experience and training are different etc... so our NEEDS are different.

Sorry for being darn philosophical today, had a bad night :wink:

Fins really are very personal - freediving fins take different kicks than regular scuba and I'd probably get horrible cramps if I tried using them the same way as any of the scuba fins I've used. Freedive fins take a bit of practice to get used to and I either use my ankles for small kicks (super efficient) or my upper leg muscles for power - the kicks are different, the powerstroke is different (freedive fins have it on the up AND down), the fin action is different (s curve and rebound vs paddle type action), you can frog kick with them but it's really not their strong point (lock your knees and do a horizontal scissor kick for a much better experience).

Fins really are tools and its important to find the right tool for the right user and the job.

Back
Top Bottom