Resort's " New Normal " Rule - No AIR 2 or diving your long hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I googled the definition of Hogarthian loop and came across this:

The excess length of the long hose is stored by “wrapping” it around the body. The hose passes down behind the wing on the right hand side, around the right hip, across the chest from right to left and behind the head. There is a common misconception that it goes around the neck. This is not true as it would be dangerous to have the hose fully around the neck. By having the hose on the back of the neck it id held in position but can be released by ducking the head and/or flicking the hose off the head. This method of storing the hose is known as a Hogarthian loop or it is often shortened to “Hog Loop”.

So how does BSAC teach to store excess hose?
I can't answer that question, but figured more of BSAC's thoughts on a hog loop would be insightful:

upload_2020-5-21_16-28-28.png

FWIW, SSI standards for entry-level (i.e. Open Water) classes specify that while we're permitted to teach either primary or octo donate, that primary-donate is the preferred method, and is what is required to be used for Professional (instructor) training courses.

c. Air Sharing During Professional-Level Training

Since passing the primary works with most equipment configurations, it is SSI's preferred method, and is a required and evaluated skill for all SSI Professional training programs.

So I googled the definition of Hogarthian loop and came across this:

The excess length of the long hose is stored by “wrapping” it around the body. The hose passes down behind the wing on the right hand side, around the right hip, across the chest from right to left and behind the head. There is a common misconception that it goes around the neck. This is not true as it would be dangerous to have the hose fully around the neck. By having the hose on the back of the neck it id held in position but can be released by ducking the head and/or flicking the hose off the head. This method of storing the hose is known as a Hogarthian loop or it is often shortened to “Hog Loop”.

So how does BSAC teach to store excess hose?

That's why I really like my 5ft hose. Wraps around my torso with no extra to have to deal with.

That's why I really like my 5ft hose. Wraps around my torso with no extra to have to deal with.
Does the hose come around the back of your neck?

I think you are mistaken. Air 2's and similar devices are rather common in many recreational settings. Perhaps you are unaware of that situation. A good percentage of people who use scuba Pro Bc's use them - based on my causal observations.

our casual observations appear to have produced vastly different results. I see very few air2s in the wild and outside of tech dive circles have only seen one other person use a non air2 primary donate system.
It would be interesting to see systematic statistics on use of secondary vs primary donate. Most opinions seem to be based on personal observation but I have not seem any systematic analysis, nor could I find any in casual internet searches.

our casual observations appear to have produced vastly different results. I see very few air2s in the wild and outside of tech dive circles have only seen one other person use a non air2 primary donate system.
It would be interesting to see systematic statistics on use of secondary vs primary donate. Most opinions seem to be based on personal observation but I have not seem any systematic analysis, nor could I find any in casual internet searches.

It seems to vary with location and group. Up here we see it more often. But 10 foot vis is good 20 is OMG and the water is cold,.this means local divers really, really like diving and end up getting into tech. I have not seen the air2 outside of a display every shop I know has the we will do everything possible to talk you out of it but if you insist we will sell it to you.

our casual observations appear to have produced vastly different results. I see very few air2s in the wild and outside of temch dive circles have only seen one other person use a non air2 primary donate system.

Correct, your sample is much different from mine over many years in Florida and the Caribbean. I contend that combo inflator/regulator units are quite common

Perhaps we will just not agree

I just thought of another example go to cozumel, roatan, Cayman, Belize, etc and count the number of drysuits you see. Then come up here, great lakes, Washington state etc and count the number of drysuits.

Back
Top Bottom