Cenote Diving near Playa Del Camen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are also guilty until proven innocent in Mexico as far a traffic accidents. I dont know if it applies to tourists there but you can get locked up until they get things sorted out.

I like renting a car at the airport. Easier to get to beaches, the jungle, etc. And not expensive. But not essential. And, we go farther south than PDC.

I have rented vehicles in Mexico in the past. Last time I rented a few years back, I was stopped for “speeding” and was extorted $150 by police And was threatened to be thrown to jail. I have not rented in Mexico since.

I booked a vacation at a "Totally Inclusive" resort in that area. (Flight, Hotel Stay) the decision to dive while there came in later.

TC

I frequent an all inclusive just south of PDC. I book dives at the front desk and they arrange transportation. However, I have never done cenotes. It's on my list for next time I'm there.

That said, I have rented cars in many different countries. I have zero desire to do so in Mexico.

All great advice! Thank you! I'm very LEERY of renting a car in Mexico, (and was before this...) I'm still looking into that, (armed with y'alls advice)

NOW.......

Those who have dived in the Cenotes around PDC, and Cancun:

I've seen video, and photographs, (breath taking!) which ones would you recommend are a "don't miss!"?
My wife and are VERY novice, only got our PADI OW last summer. LOVE diving, not afraid of a little challenge, not scared of depths, a few steps to access them, etc.

The "Car Wash" cenote looks intriguing (among others)

Any recommendations?

TC

Not sure if they'll take you in either of them because they're deep dives, but The Pit and Angelita are nice dives. Dos Ojos is a nice dive and gives you more of a sense of what I think cave diving would be like, as it's a lot of overhead but never more than about 200 ft from being able to surface at any given point and never any deeper than about 30 ft or so. They may want to start you off somewhere like Casa Cenote to gauge your abilities, especially with regards to buoyancy. I can't really speak to any of the other cenotes, as I haven't had the opportunity to dive them just yet, but there are plenty of them there.

Carwash would nice and also Tajma Ha (Taj Mahal). Carwash(max around 40 and avg around 30, not sure about dive time) is a few miles west of Tulum, maybe 45 minutes south of Playa. Tajma Ha(max depth < 50, avg depth <30, and dive time about 40 minutes) is 5 or 10 minutes north of Tulum so maybe 35 minutes south of Playa. Both of the cavern areas are spacious too. Not sure if you are taking your own gear but if you do not have a bright light, it would be worth renting one to see all the formations (even though the guide will have one).

Car wash is a bit small to single tank dive at. You will need a guide to be at any Cenotes that you would dive single tank at. Dos Ojos is very popular for divers to go to. It was my first cenote. Did the Barbie and Bat Cave lines with a guide. You will be in an overhead environment for all of the dive but with daylight areas so you see an exit. You will either go - this is incredible - or the overhead may mess with your head. Either way you have interest in trying and that is great. The Pit is a small opening that turns into a space the size of a Costco building. About 80 feet of depth in the main area - or 130 if you take the tour clockwise. Your guide will decide. Angelita is very nice also. Hydrogen sulfide layer at the bottom makes it feel a bit spooky. Grand is nice. Great area for the non divers to enjoy also. Beyond that there will lots of other choices. Repost here to let us know how the adventure went.

My wife and I are relative "newbies" to this wonderful pastime. (PADI Open Water Certified last summer by an AWESOME Instructor!)

We will HOPEFULLY be in Cancun / Playa Del Carmen at the end of August. (assuming this current hysteria dies down...:confused:) doing some Cenotes diving in that area. (I've heard SO much about this!)

What does anybody know of "Happy Manta Cenotes Diving", as far as Cenotes diving? I've been responding via email to a person there, trying to set some dives up. Anybody have any experience, (good, or bad) with them? If not therm, do you recommend anyone between PDC and Cancun?

AND...on a different, but related subject. Our hotel is about 30 minutes North of Playa Del Carmen. Their pickup is in PDC. What's your experience in renting and car, and driving in Mexico? I'd rather not, but a taxi ride that far might be more expensive than renting a car. What about parking IN PDC?

Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks!
30 minutes North is Puerto Morelos. Talk to Tulaka divers.

Car wash is a bit small to single tank dive at...

Trying to figure out my profile from my last dive there. Guessing that from the left side to the cave line is 7.5 to 10 minutes. If you went from the left all the way to the right and then back, it may be 35 minutes round trip. You may have some better information.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom