Dreaming...Anyone know of any good dive deals in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

if they don't serve Finn pancakes it cannot be considered spectacular. haha

if they don't serve Finn pancakes it cannot be considered spectacular. haha

You can ask...

Finn pancakes in Mexico......hmmmm.....now that would be interesting. lol now i'm hungry.

I think this is semantics. With a relatively high fluctuation in the Pesos, the dive shop would have to adjust prices daily, based on the conversion rate to the USD. Like or not, the USD is king (for now).
It's not semantics, it's economics 101. That's like saying the price of goods in your shop in the States are based on the vagrancies of the exchange rate in the British Pound becasue you get a lot of shoppers from England. You aren't paying your expenses in Pounds. Dive shops only need to adjust prices based on the local rate of inflation as that is what impacts on their overhead and margins. It has nothing to do with the exchange rate of the peso to the USD.

hey shawn c......i completely understand your position. i have had this conversation with dive shop owners in mexico. unfortunately there are two separate issues. one is the value of the peso against other currencies. the primary concern for them being the usd. the other is the advertised price for their services. everything you are saying is correct. but many local businesses that cater primarily to a u.s. traveler choose to advertise a consistent price to make it easier for those people.

there are businesses of course that do not do this. most restaurants that we use for example, price menus in pesos and adjust the usd prices as needed.

it would be awesome if my fav shop priced in pesos because lately, my cost would be substantially less. but from what i can see, this is not going to happen. there may be smaller operators that do price services in pesos but i have never found one.

people from the u.s. usually do not understand how frustrating it can be for non u.s. travelers. that is not an insult. it is just that most never have to give it a seconds thought.

Hey Rick - I understand completely and agree with everything you said. The only reason why I posted on this topic was there was a comment about Canadians complaining about the prices in USD and perhaps not understanding the reason why it's frustrating. That convivence has a cost (and quite often even to those who it's put in place to serve!).

It's not semantics, it's economics 101. That's like saying the price of goods in your shop in the States are based on the vagrancies of the exchange rate in the British Pound becasue you get a lot of shoppers from England. You aren't paying your expenses in Pounds. Dive shops only need to adjust prices based on the local rate of inflation as that is what impacts on their overhead and margins. It has nothing to do with the exchange rate of the peso to the USD.

it does when they are sending a crapload of their money out of country though..:wink: in 10 years the peso/usd exchange rate has More than doubled, even allowing for moderate inflation, that’s quite the appreciation for the amount you are paying for dives..

over the same period the CAD/USD ratio has dropped nearly 20% so Canadians are basically getting totally screwed.

Back
Top Bottom