Dreaming...Anyone know of any good dive deals in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For what? Measured how? If a US dollar is worth 1.4 Canadian dollars and I pay a US dollar for something you have to pay a Canadian buck forty for, we are still paying the same amount.

C’mon Gordon...Yes, for the recipient....that only really works for the originator if salaries fluctuate with exchange rates..If it was valid it would negate the basis of foreign exchange...
Either way, this is a scuba forum, not a forex forum...and pretty much everything on this board is a first world problem, so perhaps we should just shut it all down and be happy we can afford a goat :yeahbaby:

okay seeing as i am bored and at home i will try one last crack at explaining this. if it works great. if not, oh well.

#1 - 6 months ago shop advertises $50 usd for a dive - diver from texas pays $50 usd - diver from canada pays aprox $62.50 cdn (exchange was aprox 25%)

covid hits the world - shop still advertises $50 usd for a dive - diver from texas still pays $50 - diver from canada now pays aprox $70 cdn (exchange is now 40%)

compared to:

#2 - 6 months ago shop advertises 1000 pesos for a dive - diver from texas pays aprox $50 - diver from canada pays aprox

covid attacks - shop still advertises 1000 pesos for a dive - diver from texas pays aprox $40 - diver from canada now pays aprox $57

pls don't argue about the numbers as they are only rough estimates of the exchange rates at the time etc. but it illustrates my point.

in first scenario, if the shop was advertising in usd our price goes up but costs you the same. some see this as unfair to a canadian consumer
in second scenario, if they were advertising in pesos our cost goes down and so does yours. some see this as the more fair way of doing business. yes we still pay more than you but it is still almost a 20% discount compared to scenario #1

my head hurts. lol

okay seeing as i am bored and at home i will try one last crack at explaining this. if it works great. if not, oh well.

#1 - 6 months ago shop advertises $50 usd for a dive - diver from texas pays $50 usd - diver from canada pays aprox $62.50 cdn (exchange was aprox 25%)

covid hits the world - shop still advertises $50 usd for a dive - diver from texas still pays $50 - diver from canada now pays aprox $70 cdn (exchange is now 40%)

compared to:

#2 - 6 months ago shop advertises 1000 pesos for a dive - diver from texas pays aprox $50 - diver from canada pays aprox

covid attacks - shop still advertises 1000 pesos for a dive - diver from texas pays aprox $40 - diver from canada now pays aprox $57

pls don't argue about the numbers as they are only rough estimates of the exchange rates at the time etc. but it illustrates my point.

in first scenario, if the shop was advertising in usd our price goes up but costs you the same. some see this as unfair to a canadian consumer
in second scenario, if they were advertising in pesos our cost goes down and so does yours. some see this as the more fair way of doing business. yes we still pay more than you but it is still almost a 20% discount compared to scenario #1

my head hurts. lol

#1 you missed a payment from the Canadian.

#2 you assume the price in Pesos will stay stagnant.

I have no idea why you would assume prices would stay stagnant, as much of their costs would fluctuate with the USD.

:facepalm:It doesn’t change the argument though, it’s not relevant to the point..the point is that the cost fluctuates at roughly the same variable for Canadians and Americans if its pegged to pesos as opposed to the double hit for Canadians and everyone else when it is not.,unless of course there was some sort of sizemic economic shift where the peso/usd margin fell and the peso/cad ratio increased...but that would probably take aliens.

dude....why would the price in pesos have gone up in the last few months. i surrender.

dude....why would the price in pesos have gone up in the last few months. i surrender.

In exchange for the USD.

C’mon Gordon...Yes, for the recipient....that only really works for the originator if salaries fluctuate with exchange rates..If it was valid it would negate the basis of foreign exchange...
Either way, this is a scuba forum, not a forex forum...and pretty much everything on this board is a first world problem, so perhaps we should just shut it all down and be happy we can afford a goat :yeahbaby:
I'm an engineer not an economist (obviously) but it seems to me that if Canadian currency falls 40% (or whatever) relative to the US dollar and you Canucks have to pay 40% more for something priced in dollars because of it, you are still paying the same amount in real buying power.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom