Free SSI Science of Diving Specialty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't see anything nefarious in this. SSI is trying to help shops (re)establish relationships with customers. I don't think there is anyone charging a fee for this (afaik, could be though), but they hope that in the future, you will consider them for your training needs.

Why would anyone think this is nefarious? As you say it's marketing.

I don't see anything nefarious in this. SSI is trying to help shops (re)establish relationships with customers. I don't think there is anyone charging a fee for this (afaik, could be though), but they hope that in the future, you will consider them for your training needs.

I, for one, am definitely going to use Salty Endeavors on my inaugural trip to Cozumel (whenever that is) as a thank you. I'm not really looking for much more training down the SSI route, but I will certainly throw some money towards some dives.

Yes that's my main goal. I'm newly OW certified so definitely not thinking about becoming professional at the moment. Last week I was so bored at home because of the virus situation that I dug out my OW manual to read all over again and began to think about where I want to go for diving next time. Then I came upon this!:coffee:

I have to agree with Saxman ("The information you learned is the valuable part here.") . This SSI course is worth a read. It never hurts to understand things. It takes time though, so no hurry.

-------------------
ps. The CMAS diving courses I took a decade ago contained some science of diving, and I am happy they did :)

Unimportant question (or one I should know maybe)-
I'll take this SSI cert. as an example.
A non-certified person can join scubaboard, read about, and (I guess) take this course. Get certified, card and everything. Can he/she present that card at a shop and get fills? Or would the shop ask for a card that included dives?

With this certification, can you get some fills?

The answer is no.

There are countries where anyone can dive at will, no certifications required, but as soon as you ask for a fill at a commercial diveshop, they have at least some duty of care. Legislations do vary, but it is best, advisable, and very wise indeed to get properly certified.

This course alone does not make you a safe diver.

Based on this course, you might deduct some important rules of diving, but even if you did, there are other aspects to diving: Gear, the pre-dive check, weighting, buoyancy, finning, breathing, trim, gas sharing, recovering a regulator, emptying a diving mask, mental preparedness, best practises, and so on, that cannot be read from a book. Diving indeed is a sport. It requires both skill and a suitable state of mind and practical knowledge beyond science. Plus, you want someone experienced to look after you so you do not kill yourself during those very first dives.

This free course is a great marketing tool. I am very thankful to Salty Endeavers for registering it for me. If I ever come to dive in Cozumel, I will definitely choose this diving center. Also, I think that there are many such people like me.

With this certification, can you get some fills?

The answer is no.

There are countries where anyone can dive at will, no certifications required, but as soon as you ask for a fill at a commercial diveshop, they have at least some duty of care. Legislations do vary, but it is best, advisable, and very wise indeed to get properly certified.

This course alone does not make you a safe diver.

Based on this course, you might deduct some important rules of diving, but even if you did, there are other aspects to diving: Gear, the pre-dive check, weighting, buoyancy, finning, breathing, trim, gas sharing, recovering a regulator, emptying a diving mask, mental preparedness, best practises, and so on, that cannot be read from a book. Diving indeed is a sport. It requires both skill and a suitable state of mind and practical knowledge beyond science. Plus, you want someone experienced to look after you so you do not kill yourself during those very first dives.
I was just curious. I would assume anyone taking this course is at least OW certified, but I suppose that may not be always the case.
Agree of course with what you say about knowing the rules of diving. Also wanting someone experienced to dive with when you are new (IF that is possible in your location)--I used to mention that to students. PADI's OW manual suggested getting the phone numbers of OW classmates as possible post-cert. buddies. That's two new divers together with no Rescue training. On the other hand, I read that some tropical resorts always do guided dives as a way to keep newbies and "vacation" divers as safe as possible (for liability probably). I'm not a fan of that, but it has it's reasons I guess.
Only thing I disagree with you on is that I don't consider diving a sport, rather an interesting activity which can be very physical or not, and is not competitive. But, another thread.

I was just curious. I would assume anyone taking this course is at least OW certified, but I suppose that may not be always the case.
Agree of course with what you say about knowing the rules of diving. Also wanting someone experienced to dive with when you are new (IF that is possible in your location)--I used to mention that to students. PADI's OW manual suggested getting the phone numbers of OW classmates as possible post-cert. buddies. That's two new divers together with no Rescue training. On the other hand, I read that some tropical resorts always do guided dives as a way to keep newbies and "vacation" divers as safe as possible (for liability probably). I'm not a fan of that, but it has it's reasons I guess.
Only thing I disagree with you on is that I don't consider diving a sport, rather an interesting activity which can be very physical or not, and is not competitive. But, another thread.

I disagree: We do agree :D

Diving is not a competitive sport. Sorry, I'm nitpicking.

What we see on television is commercial sport, which is competitive by nature, but there are vast amounts of children (and adults) who do various sports just to stay fit and/or to enjoy the company. An example: weight lifting is a sport indeed, although most people that go to gyms never compete. What makes sport sport is the physical aspect but also regular practice and (often) a coach.

I disagree: We do agree :D

Diving is not a competitive sport. Sorry, I'm nitpicking.

What we see on television is commercial sport, which is competitive by nature, but there are vast amounts of children (and adults) who do various sports just to stay fit and/or to enjoy the company. An example: weight lifting is a sport indeed, although most people that go to gyms never compete. What makes sport sport is the physical aspect but also regular practice and (often) a coach.
Sort of agree. But my own definition is that it is a sport if it CAN be competitive as well as having a physical aspect. Bicycling--sport (you can just ride for fun or enter Tour de France). Golf- sport. Free diving- sport (they compete for depth). Chess--not a sport (compete but not physical). Fishing--- Now there's a tough one. Not really physical (very minimumly maybe) but you can enter competitions, yet those are local contests, not like the Olympics, NBA, etc.

Back
Top Bottom