Have you reached a Diving "Plateau. "

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I didn't hit a plateau, I hit a brick wall. After experiencing a subdural hematoma while body surfing, on my birthday three years ago, my outlook on life has changed. Weird.
I read the 50% of people my age (64) die from this. In my case, after free dive spear fishing for the last 20 years, I have simply lost the desire. And it might be a bit dangerous.
Thinking about scuba again but I have lost the....fire.? ...to get my boat in the water and go out.
All that and hitting retirement age....major life changes. I want to start a blues band in Belize..open a bar for old spear fishermen..."The Bent Shaft Saloon"....life goes on.

What is a plateau? For most, diving is a hobby. Hobbies are supposed to be fun. If you are having fun blowing bubbles in your swimming pool, go ahead.

And for all you old farts (like me) if you are just sitting around reminiscing about your wasted youth, just sing along:

Interesting thread. I'd say my diving (interest, at least) has plateaued a number of times.
Back in the early 90's, my brother and I were kicking around Cancun, basically being low-budget-hippie-stoner/chick-chasing-surf-bums, but then stumbled into getting certified by a buddy that worked for Aqua World, diving virtually every day that wasn't pouring rain, and through him and another instructor freind, clawed our way through the cert levels to Divemaster.
Various "adventures" ensued (like, seriously), but I eventually went to work for a small mom-and-pop marina, then did a PADI IDC, and went to work as an instructor for Aqua World myself, basically doing sales and instructions at one of their hotel spots (while my brother was also at Aqua World by this point, divemastering and running their videography gig).
I was still in love with diving, and regularly volunteered to divemaster the night dives, since the day crews usually didn't want to unless they had to, and it was a way to get some bottom time.
Somewhere along this point I was briefly introduced to cave diving, as well as deep/technical diving, which really piqued my interest, and I dove into borrowed copies of various manuals, and started making weekend trips down to Playa or Cozumel.
I eventually got a foot in the door of Cozumel, via a buddy that went to work for the husband/wife owners of two small operations there, and started divemastering boat trips, for virtually no money, but absolutely loved it !!! Those were truly "the best of times!"
They let me do deep,multi-tank deco dives when I wasn't working, which was what I was into (at this point, I was stupidly hoping to beat Bret Gilliam's depth record on air, not even realizing his record had already been topped.)
But, I got over the deep-diving phase (as evidenced by the fact that I'm still alive!), but later started the series of cave certs, finished those, and me and a buddy started doing long exploration dives, trying to connect two well known systems on Cozumel. At this point, I basically lived cave diving.
But, one year, high season rolled back around, meaning free time was going to be scarce, I kinda lost that loving feeling, and sold all my beloved Dive Rite cave gear, and went back to splashing around the shallow-end with the tourists.
I was in kind of a holding pattern/limbo mode, and only diving when work required it (one of the aforementioned plateaus).
I did have a brief photography phase, and an antique bottle hunting phase, where I'd hop on the afternoon boat trips, and jump in by the Plaza Las Glorious, and solo dive with the current back to the pier in town (and I do have a pretty cool collection of interesting old bottles to show for it).
But mostly, I was kinda bored, so I decided to bail on the tropics and head back to the states.
But, 6 months of a "real" job, and I got to missing the whole thing again, so I finagled my old job back, packed up and moved back to Cozumel. Got my tan back, rode off a little belly weight, and bazinga ! It was like I never left!
I was loving it all over again, even just divemastering trips, but then, it eventually got to just be a job again, (another plateau) and I got bitten by the bike racing bug, and devoted most of my attention to that for a couple years, and again, only diving when work required it.
By then I was in my early 40's, and felt like my bike racing 'career' (LOL) was wrapping up, and the whole scuba diving / living-in-paradise-thing was starting to wear thin, and once again, (like an idiot), I packed up and moved back to the states (a long distance relationship with a girl back here, was also a factor).
But, lo & behold, as the years went by, I gradually started missing the water again, and have been ruminating on heading back down to the isla at some point. I still have a number of freinds down there, that I keep in touch with, and I've even scraped together a pretty decent pile of scuba gear, on the cheap, mostly via Ebay and Craigslist, so......who knows ?
(apologies for the long-winded autobiography, I got carried away!!:D )

So, the question is...if it applies? What is your "Plateau."

Hmm. Context is everything.

Plateau...?

My comfort level is diving in the recreational zone. Zero to 130/140 feet. My cert choices were engineered to alleviate any dive-op from using the "lack of training" excuse for not allowing me to dive off their boat on any recreational level dive.

"Why son, this is a DEEP dive down to 112 fsw!" "You might get narced or go OOA there!!" So, I flash my Tech 40 cert. "Well son, you need a buddy to dive in gin-clear-benign water right below the boat in 45 feet of water." So, I flash my solo cert.

I like recreational diving and would probably kill myself or someone else if I did real tech diving. Real tech diving is not a good idea for me or my buddy. I have no fire in-the-belly for it.

So, if that is my diving plateau, I have reached my plateau. I am quite happy with that plateau.

Thanks for the thread,
m²v2

Interesting thread. I'd say my diving (interest, at least) has plateaued a number of times.
Back in the early 90's, my brother and I were kicking around Cancun, basically being low-budget-hippie-stoner-chick-chasing-surf-bums, but then stumbled into getting certified by a buddy that worked for Aqua World, diving virtually every day that wasn't pouring rain, and through him and another instructor freind, clawed our way through the cert levels to Divemaster.
Various "adventures" ensued (like, seriously), but I eventually went to work for a small mom-and-pop marina, then did a PADI IDC, and went to work as an instructor for Aqua World myself, basically doing sales and instructions at one of their hotel spots (while my brother was also at Aqua World by this point, divemastering and running their videography gig).
I was still in love with diving, and regularly volunteered to divemaster the night dives, since the day crews usually didn't want to unless they had to, and it was a way to get some bottom time.
Somewhere along this point I was briefly introduced to cave diving, as well as deep/technical diving, which really piqued my interest, and I dove into borrowed copies of various manuals, and started making weekend trips down to Playa or Cozumel.
I eventually got a foot in the door of Cozumel, via a buddy that went to work for the husband/wife owners of two small operations there, and started divemastering boat trips, for virtually no money, but absolutely loved it !!! Those were truly "the best of times!"
They let me do multi-tank deco dives when I wasn't working, which was what I was into (at this point, I was stupidly hoping to beat Bret Gilliam's depth record on air, not even realizing his record had already been topped.)
But, i got over the deep phase (as evidenced by the fact that I'm still alive!), but later started the series of cave certs, finished those, and me and a buddy started doing long exploration dives. At this point, I basically lived cave diving.
But, one year, high season rolled back around, meaning free time was going to be scarce, I kinda lost that loving feeling, and sold all my beloved Dive Rite cave gear, and went back to splashing around the shallow-end with the tourists.
I was in kind of a holding pattern/limbo mode, and only diving when work required it (one of the aforementioned plateaus).
I did have a brief photography phase, and an antique bottle hunting phase, where I'd hop on the afternoon boat trips, and jump in by the Plaza Las Glorious, and solo dive with the current back to the pier in town (and I do have a pretty cool collection of interesting old bottles to show for it).
But mostly, I was kinda bored, so I decided to bail on the tropics and head back to the states.
But, 6 months of a "real" job, and I got to missing the whole thing again, so I finagled my old job back, packed up and moved back to Cozumel. Got my tan back, rode off a little belly weight, and bazinga ! It was like I never left!
I was loving it all over again, even just divemastering trips, but then, it eventually got to just be a job again, (another plateau) and I got bitten by the bike racing bug, and devoted most of my attention to that for a couple years, and again, only diving when work required it.
By then I was in my early 40's, and felt like my bike racing 'career' (LOL) was wrapping up, and the whole scuba diving / living-in-paradise-thing was starting to wear thin, and once again, (like an idiot), I packed up and moved back to the states (a long distance relationship with a girl back here, was also a factor).
But, lo & behold, as the years went by, I gradually started missing the water again, and have been ruminating on heading back down to the isla at some point. I still have a number of freinds down there, that I keep in touch with, and I've even scraped together a pretty decent pile of scuba gear, on the cheap, mostly via Ebay and Craigslist, so......who knows ?
(apologies for the long-winded autobiography, I got carried away!!:D )
No need for the apology....Long winded, more times than not, is appreciated.
Great post...Thanks.
Cheers.

Hmm. Context is everything.

Plateau...?

My comfort level is diving in the recreational zone. Zero to 130/140 feet. My cert choices were engineered to alleviate any dive-op from using the "lack of training" excuse for not allowing me to dive off their boat on any recreational level dive.

"Why son, this is a DEEP dive down to 112 fsw!" "You might get narced or go OOA there!!" So, I flash my Tech 40 cert. "Well son, you need a buddy to dive in gin-clear-benign water right below the boat in 45 feet of water." So, I flash my solo cert.

I like recreational diving and would probably kill myself or someone else if I did real tech diving. Real tech diving is not a good idea for me or my buddy. I have no fire in-the-belly for it.

So, if that is my diving plateau, I have reached my plateau. I am quite happy with that plateau.

Thanks for the thread,
m²v2
Thanks very much....I think we're in the same boat. After, diving solo for 20 years. I got my P.A.D.I. Self-Reliant Diver Card in February.
Quite frankly, I only got it to get a majority of people to Shut the &#@* up.
Cheers.

An interesting question which imposes a certain level of intrespection.

Yes, I have hit the proverbial plateau at several points in my diving 'journey', just as I have with my career. At each point I felt a certain malaise and lack of motivation which could easily have resulted in either giving up or just diving occasionally diving on holiday.

Everyone will have their own reasons, but for me, when I feel myself reaching a plateau, I know I need to 'branch off' and reinvigorate my love of the sport. Fortunately diving is broad church and there are many different aspects to keep people stimulated, like photography, tech, ecology, etc, etc.

After many years recreational diving and working P/T as a DM, I started to deal somewhat unfulfilled. I knew it would be easy to drift and lose interest so I decided to be proactive and qualify as an instructor, which I still really enjoy. Years on, I knew I needed to push myself again, so took up tech diving and later still qualified as a tech instructor.

Although I still thoroughly enjoy these aspects of diving, I know I need to keep 'pushing' myself if I'm going to keep that child like enthusiasm I had when when I started out at the tender age of 14.

My last reinvention come last year when I qualified as a commercial diver. Fortunately for me, a good friend of mine is a commercial instructor and supervisor and asked if I'd like to do the course for free as it was run by the centre I work at and they had a couple of spare slots.

Realistically at 53, there's no way I'm going to pursue a meaningful career as a commercial diver, but I thoroughly enjoyed the course, learned loads and have been on a few com jobs since.

Moral of the story is, if things are going a bit stale, stand back, have a look around, find a new path and broaden your horizons.
Excellent post. Thanks very much.

I went pro and then tapped out. Finished my IE, worked for a few weeks and then left. Alarm bells were ringing when half of the IDC was about sales and trip pricing etc. I understand the sales and marketing of continuing education, but I did the instructor training for the knowledge and the challenge. I found it was focused on the business of diving and that the biggest leap for skills and knowledge is actually at DM level. I actually left the sport because local sport diving just didn't interest me anymore, I had plateaued.

Going technical is what brought me back, for the opposite of your reasons. I really enjoy getting to wrecks with history, rather than those placed for dive sites. Always something new to learn and integrate, skills to refresh and refine.
I certainly agree with you. I believe that all "Wrecks." have a "History."
Regardless of what it is......Plane, Submarine, Luxury Liner, Ship, Etc.
(Whether intentionally sunk, or not.)
I understand your point.
Cheers.

Regarding tech. diving, my OW instructor told our class she will never get into it because she can't see herself hanging on a line for a long deco and having to pee. I guess that's a plateau.

Back
Top Bottom