Valve drill issues with drysuit undies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There may be a number of legitimate reasons for refusing to dive with someone but, for me, this isn't one of them.

Now, not buying a post dive pint when it's your round, that's a deal-breaker right there!

Well since I don't drink I guess we can't ever dive together. :)

Just tried on thin polypro base layer, 250 gram Smart Wool over top that, and X-Core vest on top. Got into my Fusion. Holy crap! Much easier to get into my suit. I can almost zip myself up all the way. Put my dry gloves on and laid on my living room floor. BIG stretch. I can reach behind my head pretty well. Right arm is better than left, but that seems to be pretty common. The difference in mobility is AMAZING. :D

We'll just have to see how warm I am in the water, but I think we might have a winner! :yeahbaby:@racanichou gets the credit for this combo. :flowers:

Turns out we're going to White Star in Ohio this weekend, rather than back to Wazee in WI. T'storms in the forecast for Wazee, and not for Ohio. Two friends are coming down from Michigan to dive with buddy and I, as well as help me practice skills for class.

I am not sure what Marie's instructor has told her but I have seen many suggestions here for doing a valve drill. One of the best bits of advice I received was to look up when doing it. Many divers tend to look down in order to "create room" to reach the valves. This seems to be something divers do naturally. Looking up with the elbow in front will give you more reach.

Good luck!!

The X-Core vest, Smart Wool, and polypro undies combo worked pretty well this weekend. 50F water. 50 minute and 36 minute dives. We were limited by one diver with singles. I was a wee bit chilly after our second dive yesterday, but it turns out a bit of my glove liner was caught in my dry glove when putting them on. Right arm was soaked. I broke down and ordered the Thermolution vest (yellow grade plus). Two buddies from this weekend have them and I was able to try on for size. I was given a good deal on a new one. I know DRIS sells the Venture heated vests, but I've tried them on and they don't fit me well. I might try two layers of the Smart Wool. Next time I'm diving is next Monday when our local quarry opens.

And, no, I didn't attempt a valve drill this weekend. I was working on other things. But I've definitely got a lot more flexibility in the new undies combo. I did do the stretch on the surface before descending. I was able to take off 4lbs. Valve drill practice is next week when the local quarry opens.

Santi bz400 is excellent. Very warm. Easily comfortable for an hour at 7C (45 Fahrenheit) in 30m. The armpits have stretchy material which definitely helps reaching. If you can’t figure out what the problem is, I suggest getting a different drysuit as it could be a seam issue. Hope you find a solution.

Another point of thought could be the orientation of your shoulders. This is different to stretching your shoulders and regardless whether you stretch or not, there are different ways of stretching.

You might be able to reach back but sometimes it’s hard to reach back while keeping your elbow in to your nose, this is because your shoulder is more externally rotated. This is because during life we are almost always internally rotated.

Look up external rotation exercises. If you have bad posture, these will open to open your shoulders up.

Eg: place hand palm pointing down wards on a wall below your chest level and slowly rotate your body outwards away from the wall while keeping hand relatively straight. You’ll need to do more. Good luck.

have you considered switching to sidemount and then valve shutdowns are a non event

I don't think the OP needs a new drysuit or change to a different platform. The main question is tips and tricks on how to gain flexibility here.
If only she was GUE trained. Clearly that would solve all issues.

have you considered switching to sidemount and then valve shutdowns are a non event

You've not been paying attention! I tried SM two years ago. Not for me. Doesn't work for my boat diving. Too effing fiddly. Love my dwarf doubles so much more, even with the weight and valve drills.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom