Cayman closed until at least September 1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your co-worker is wrong. Tell him not to get too excited. June 1 was put off until whenever in the future.
You are right...they updated it since I looked earlier this week when my trip was cancelled.

Turks and Caicos Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update | Visit Turks and Caicos Islands

Airport Currently Closed
On 20 May 2020, the Premier announced that the airport will not reopen 1 June 2020. The new date, which has not been announced, is contingent on upgrades being completed to local hospitals.

Your co-worker is wrong. Tell him not to get too excited. June 1 was put off until whenever in the future.

Well that stinks. Was just about to start looking at trips to Turks for this July. Will see how it goes. Also saw something that the Bahamas plan to open sometime this summer.

Well that stinks. Was just about to start looking at trips to Turks for this July. Will see how it goes. Also saw something that the Bahamas plan to open sometime this summer.

Where in the Turks are you looking? My youngest, in my avatar, is bugging me to go do a day or two with Stuart’s Cove. So I am keeping my fingers crossed with the Bahamas. The general feeling here on Cayman Brac is late fall at the earliest unless something really changes.

Where in the Turks are you looking? My youngest, in my avatar, is bugging me to go do a day or two with Stuart’s Cove. So I am keeping my fingers crossed with the Bahamas. The general feeling here on Cayman Brac is late fall at the earliest unless something really changes.

Have no idea. Never been to the Turks and know nothing about it. Just want to get away somewhere this summer if possible. If Atlantis opens up this summer we may consider that as well and take the kids. Would love to do the Shark dive at Stuart Cove's and maybe go to Tiger Beach while there.

Yes absolutely. The funds to Astra Zeneca however are not to develop the vaccine, they are to ramp up manufacture capabilities for Americans.
That's not really accurate - while part of the funding is to obtain 300 million doses of the vaccine if it works, the US funding is also to accelerate the development including the required phase 3 clinical trial on 30,000 volunteers in the US this summer.

The news about the vaccine came to light several weeks ago perhaps longer as they have already had interviews on with the NHS workers et al whom it is being tested on.

The promising Oxford vaccine has been in the news here for quite a while (probably one of the 1st we heard about here) as have other vaccine candidates - though still too early to know if they will work or have any side effects. Fingers crossed!

It is wonderful that the US is jumping in to take be proactive in helping it’s people just as every nation should. I was referring to the UK lab seeming to be ahead of the curve in their discovery of a vaccine

You seemed to be have been implying that it was not on the US news because it was not a US effort. That is just flat out wrong as it has been in the US news since the early days of the pandemic. Accelerated completion of the development is being made possible with significant US funding support - so we're not just helping our people, we're helping everyone.

Of course the vital step for any vaccine is will it work. Few European countries have as deep pockets as the US to invest such sums however the good news for them is that with some tweaking the manufacture protocol put in place for a vaccine that doesn’t work, can be reworked to produce another. The manufacturer as its backers and shareholders can smile. In fact if they can get it out in a hurry we can all smile. As of this morning all the big news networks are reporting on the hopeful news from Oxford with regard to the vaccine. The lab is starting the next phase of broader testing which includes those as young as 5 and over 70 based on the their completed first wave of human trials. Let’s keep everything crossed for good news and that the manufacturers will soon have big orders to be rolling out!
It will be great if it works but, as I have 30 years in R&D with one of the pharma companies in the news on these efforts, I've learned not to "count my chickens before they've hatched" - so I'm cautiously optimistic.

The good news for all is that there are numerous efforts on multiple vaccine candidates in progress with different companies/countries around the world. Some companies are even gearing up/investing to manufacture before they have final results. Hopefully, at least one will work!

Here's a pretty balanced view on the challenges and progress on the vaccine front - promising, but still lots to sort out:

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-01092-3

I think the USVI is open for business. How about BVI?

I think the USVI is open for business. How about BVI?

St. Croix has been on my to do list for awhile. I am stuck with a bunch of JetBlue
Vouchers from a blown Cozumel trip and I think they might fly to St Croix.

Going to be tough to reopen an island that has a continual uptick in covid-19 cases. Another 8 confirmed. They closed their borders to stop it from coming on the island yet they haven’t been able to stop it them selves.

Turks and Caicos has 1 active case left. They either aren’t testing or figured out how to stop it on a small island.

I don't believe the Bahamas are opening up to tourists until July 1. Of course, that could change.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom