When will Coz re-open?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

download0000.jpg
just need a good snorkel

If I may ask, who's your insurer?

A Medicare supplement - tough lesson learned. It was a family member that isn’t a resident here, just on a tourist visa.

We learned that some private hospitals and air evac take certain brands of insurance, some they don’t. Do not just assume that because you have travel insurance that it will be accepted at a local hospital - these are businesses here that want paid now and they don’t really have any sympathy. You could very well be paying out of pocket and fighting for reimbursement.

Some problems that occur - you need records translated back to English, they don’t code things the same way here. You paid a portion in cash?? They’ll say the receipt is fake..... Add the fact that it just seems like they say F you, maybe we will pay you later or maybe you should make six more phone calls.

Yes, what she had wasn’t travelers insurance per sey, but it should cover any emergency treatment but no air evac. What we found is that depending on who the carrier was, wed be in the same position - swipe your credit card for x dollars or pile the cash on the counter.

DAN dive insurance is accepted here no problem, I think they have a local rep. It’s the travel insurance for some medical event that you buy online - not all of them are accepted here and you’ll still be paying 100% out of pocket.

we had this happen in st lucia. wife became very ill with a severe infection. we had travel insurance thru our credit card. but the private hospital would not bill the insurer. we had to pay up front for any services. they provided great care. my wife was really impressed and so was i. thank goodness the cost was reasonable. we just had to submit receipts once home and the insurer repaid us right away.

In my case, the Hospital takes and makes a copy of your passport, gives you orginal. They expect payment on dischard and put a hold on your passport at immigration until you pay. So you would be stuck in counrty until it is paid.

Lucky I have good primary insurance that covers international Hospitals and they sent a letter of Guarantee payment that they would accept, once we were able to talk to the supervisor.

DAN dive insurance is ok, but a "dive accident" is only, ONLY is considered the time from submerge to surface. If for example you slip on boat ladder exiting water and break you arm, not a dive accident. They do have some coverage for medical (reduced coverage and is secondary insurance) but they do not carry the same limits and benifits as a dive accident (middle and high end premium only i think).

Huh...my assumption (you know what that means :)) is I would be paying out of pocket for non-diving related care (sick or injured) and would then recoup via the medical coverage portion of my travel insurance once I returned home. I wouldn't expect a local care giver to have a clue about my insurance and would expect them to insist on payment for services rendered. One of the reasons I sometimes buy trip insurance has to do with the non-diving medical coverage. DAN for diving related issues is a wonderful thing and a far cry from anything I would expect if I was otherwise sick or injured outside of my home country. All IMHO, YMMV.

Point being, medical evacuation is very expensive. Expect to pay $25 to 50k USD.

As Chuck said, you need deep pockets or Travel medical or good Primary insurance. Discuss if and who pays for medical evacuation in foreign country of a Pandemic if travel occurs after Pandemic announcement with insurance providers and get it in writing.

Go to your primary insurance provider web page and see what international hospital is affiliated with your insurance. In Coz, i have choice of Medicina Hyperbarica Integral, Cozumel International Hospital, Costamed Cozumel and Amerimed Cozumel Islamed Hospital as prefered providers using my primary insurance. I know to have my Primary insurance will send a letter of Guarentee payment to the Hospital. My insurance company said do NOT pay them direct since they have a relationship with them and the hospital will accept the letter. (Different island, same concept).

So, given the choice, what is the Best hospital care in Cozumel?

I now print a list of preferred Hospitals before i leave for a dive destination.

we had this happen in st lucia. wife became very ill with a severe infection. we had travel insurance thru our credit card. but the private hospital would not bill the insurer. we had to pay up front for any services. they provided great care. my wife was really impressed and so was i. thank goodness the cost was reasonable. we just had to submit receipts once home and the insurer repaid us right away.

Yea, St Lucia is tough since I cannot find a prefered provider there either.

Tapion hospital in St Lucia is a Pay Now Hospital. Just make sure you check you Bill and get good receipts to file insurance claim. Having a good credit card is important here.

A Medicare supplement - tough lesson learned. It was a family member that isn’t a resident here, just on a tourist visa.

We learned that some private hospitals and air evac take certain brands of insurance, some they don’t. Do not just assume that because you have travel insurance that it will be accepted at a local hospital - these are businesses here that want paid now and they don’t really have any sympathy. You could very well be paying out of pocket and fighting for reimbursement.

Some problems that occur - you need records translated back to English, they don’t code things the same way here. You paid a portion in cash?? They’ll say the receipt is fake..... Add the fact that it just seems like they say F you, maybe we will pay you later or maybe you should make six more phone calls.

Yes, what she had wasn’t travelers insurance per sey, but it should cover any emergency treatment but no air evac. What we found is that depending on who the carrier was, wed be in the same position - swipe your credit card for x dollars or pile the cash on the counter.

DAN dive insurance is accepted here no problem, I think they have a local rep. It’s the travel insurance for some medical event that you buy online - not all of them are accepted here and you’ll still be paying 100% out of pocket.

There, as I have posted before, a number of reasons that I purchase trip insurance. A supplement to my own is one of the reasons. Most trip insurance policies state, (this is a quote from my current policy with Arch RoamRight Preferred): "We will advance payment to a Hospital, up to the Maximum Benefit Amount shown on the Schedule of Benefits, if needed to secure Your admission to a Hospital because of a covered Emergency Condition".

The maximum benefit on this particular policy is $50,000.

The next paragraph concerns Medical Evaluation.

MEDICAL EVACUATION AND REPATRIATION OF REMAINS

"Benefits will be paid, up to the Maximum Benefit Amount shown in the Schedule of Benefits, when You suffer a covered Sickness, Injury, or Loss of life, during your Trip, for the following:"

Emergency Medical Evacuation

"We will pay the Usual and Customary level of charges for Transportation Expense for an emergency Medical Evacuation to the nearest Hospital or medical facility where suitable Medically Necessary treatment is available, provided: 1) Your local attending Physician and We or Our Program Assistance Provider determine that Your condition is acute, severe or life threatening; and 2) that Medically Necessary treatment is not available in Your immediate area."

The benefit limit on the same referenced policy is $500,000.

Fortunately, I have not had to 'test' the availability of the benefits.

When I got DCS and had to do 2 rides in Dr piccolos chamber his wife Heidi (who is American) Contacted my primary care insurance - united healthcare and everything covered 100%. I had DAN but they did nothing and I realized I don't need it since im covered in emergencies with my insurance. I work for govt so we have excellent insurance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom