New Compressor Owner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Intake Filter Is Important
- One of the earlier posts said the intake filter isn't necessary because the other filtration assures good air. BUT the intake filter also keeps dust from getting into the compressor and wearing out the machinery. It's important!

P.S. Congratulations on scoring such a good deal on your compressor!

Out of print now.
What can we help you with?
Just trying to soak it all in

Intake Filter Is Important
- One of the earlier posts said the intake filter isn't necessary because the other filtration assures good air. BUT the intake filter also keeps dust from getting into the compressor and wearing out the machinery. It's important!

P.S. Congratulations on scoring such a good deal on your compressor!

Yeah, I agree and already ordered replacements. This company just lags in getting me parts. Thanks! I'm excited to start filling bottles!

Having a hard time getting this little subaru motor to start. The compressor guy wanted to sell me a Honda replacement for $380 plus install.
If I replace the motor completely, I'd love to go with a diesel since both my boat and my truck are both diesel already. I've seen the units that have the Yanmar L70 motors but I wasn't sure if there was a rpm difference and would I need a different pulley size? Just not sure about spending a bunch of time and money trying to get the subaru going if a replacement is fairly cheap and more reliable.

Having a hard time getting this little subaru motor to start.
Are you using E-15 gas? It's fine for cars, but I never allow it in small engines.

Are you using E-15 gas? It's fine for cars, but I never allow it in small engines.

No, it's really hard to find any of the E fuels around here. I know a few that have E85 but I just use premium unleaded.
Chevron Shell or 76. None of the cheap stations.

If money is no object, you can buy a new engine of the same H.P., RPM, and Shaft (if you research it well)... Better yet, buy a brand new Subaru of the same model and just swap it in. If you don't get the same specs, you may have to spend some time hunting down the right pulley or get an adjustable one and laser rpm reader.

Subaru are reputed to make good engines. So personally, I would want to get the original running... And, maybe enjoy the learning process. I have an old Briggs and Stratton 1980s engine on my little Aerotecnica MCH-6. It would sputter to life if I took out the spark plug, squirted some gas in the cylinder, replaced the plug and pulled the cord. But it died as soon as the squirt burned up. So, I had a fuel problem... A clog, a leak, or a pump issue.
- I started by cleaning the gas tank with vinegar and shaking it with sheet metal screws. Holy cow it came out shiney bright steel inside and the sheet metal screws had all of the chrome plating stripped off. While I was there, I discovered a screen filter in the tank and cleaned that. Added new fuel but it still wouldn't start.
- Next I looked at the gas line to the fuel pump and noticed it was loose enough to slide on and off pretty easily. So I zip-tied the connections good and tight to seal them and THAT gave the fuel a better seal for suction (I think). Anyway, I got it to start and run for awhile after choking. But it still died.
- Finally, I bought a replacement diaphragm kit from Briggs and Stratton... This replaced two gaskets and the diaphragm that is actually the fuel pump. This time I fired it up and it ran great. I now run Aircraft gas in this and I think that stuff is probably cleaning up the fuel system more and more every time I run it.

- Getting the engine going may not be your cup of tea BUT you may just be talking to the wrong guy who services your compressor. He knows your compressor but maybe doesn't know anything about small engines. Have you considered taking it to a small engine repair service?

No, it's really hard to find any of the E fuels around here. I know a few that have E85 but I just use premium unleaded.
Chevron Shell or 76. None of the cheap stations.
Oops, I meant E-85. Most stations around here sell E-90 to E-85, but there are a couple that sell pure gasoline. I use the pure stuff in small engines. I wish that all cities over 100K and all of southern California sold only E-15 to cars to help reduce the smog they produce as it causes so much damage to plants & trees, making the Grand Canyon difficult to view, etc.

SurfLung offered some great ideas. I'd take it to a good mechanic.

Having a hard time getting this little subaru motor to start. The compressor guy wanted to sell me a Honda replacement for $380 plus install.
If I replace the motor completely, I'd love to go with a diesel since both my boat and my truck are both diesel already. I've seen the units that have the Yanmar L70 motors but I wasn't sure if there was a rpm difference and would I need a different pulley size? Just not sure about spending a bunch of time and money trying to get the subaru going if a replacement is fairly cheap and more reliable.

If the Subaru engine hasn't been started for quite a while, the fuel in the float bowl has either turned to a gel or crystallized.

Remove the bolt holding the float bowl to the Carby and clean up the bowl of any fuel residue. Next push out the float pivot pin and lower the float and pin valve carefully taking note of how it fits back in after clean up. Try not to bend the tab on the float that locates the pin valve.
Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom