Ask for refund and rescheduling due to COVID 19 but refused?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a liveaboard trip to Guadalupe, Mexico in July. I'll wait for them to decide to go or not.

My liveaboard trip to French Polynesia in May has been rescheduled by them to October.

I am supposed to head to Guadalupe on the last week of September. Our company we use to book the trip are saying we should know by July 25th if the trip is going or not. I'm not sure what is happening on July 25th but it sounded like something potentially concerning Guadalupe is happening on or about that time.

I am supposed to head to Guadalupe on the last week of September. Our company we use to book the trip are saying we should know by July 25th if the trip is going or not. I'm not sure what is happening on July 25th but it sounded like something potentially concerning Guadalupe is happening on or about that time.

My trip is on July 21-26. So, that could be rescheduled then. Dang!

I booked a 7 day labor day trip to Hawaii this February and the policy was no refund~~~~ It was fine with me at that time... then the covid 19 started and things become crazy...

What part of 'no refund' wasn't clear?

Bill it to your travel insurance.

No insurance - eat the cost....

I don't mean to be cruel here... (and I say this as someone who is actively trying to recover close to $10k based on *contractual obligations* to airlines and insurance providers)... but the deal was the deal.

If you have a contract that states you were entitled to a refund (or similarly comprehensive legislation) then, by all means, fight your battles. I am. But if you signed up for a 'no refunds' trip with no other protection or contractual recourse. Take the ***ing hit.

The reason those of us who have done our contractual diligence are fighting a ridiculous uphill battle against seemingly every service provider is due to everyone and their dog that DIDN'T do their homework trying to claim 'WE DIDN'T KNOW... PAY US!!!".

A deals a deal. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

(And the businesses that built these 'no refund' trips did it with appropriate cost/risk assessment. If they were clear in their terms and their pricing (as any responsible business would be) then they have met their obligation. If they offered a deferral - that is going above and beyond. Be thankful.)

I agree that a deferral is absolutely a fair offer and anyone who doesn’t take it should acccept that they are effectively forfeiting the money..

I am struggling a bit with Avianca’s ‘no cancellation policy’ and now they are arguing that ‘no cancellation’ means that if they are the ones who decide to cancel the flight, you get no refund....

I have read that most travel insurance policies will not be of use because they nearly all have an exclusion for pandemics.

I agree that the operators should be identified- good and bad. There are some operating in good faith and some not and we should be able to figure it out based on factual reporting of what is happening without editorializing.

I for one, am happy that I worked with Mike at Reef and Rainforest. They have done a good job getting me a new trip for next year with all the moving pieces. I just hope I can take it at that time- that they are operating.

I am struggling a bit with Avianca’s ‘no cancellation policy’ and now they are arguing that ‘no cancellation’ means that if they are the ones who decide to cancel the flight, you get no refund....

Definitely needs a look at the ticket contract as well as any obligations they may have under legislation at departure, intermediate or arrival locations.

Most airlines are brazenly breaching contracts/laws and generally acting in a highly unethical manner right now.
It doesn't help that our government representatives showed up to the meetings on these issues wearing kneepads and a bib.
Everyone needs to fight for what they are owed here.
(I will say Ethiopian was extremely helpful for me - AC, LH and BA have been a nightmare to deal with)

I agree that the operators should be identified- good and bad. There are some operating in good faith and some not and we should be able to figure it out based on factual reporting of what is happening without editorializing.

The problem is that internet threshold for 'good faith' is that the affected companies hand out a bunch of free product to people who didn't adequately assess their risk or mitigate it with insurance. They can't just rebook people without losing out on revenue from the future bookings they are instead filling with comps.

There will be good companies doing the right thing and still getting slammed for it.

This is the internet - where are you expecting to find this 'factual reporting'?

I walked away from a 2 week non-refundable tour package in Madagascar when this went down. I expected nothing from the supplier and I got nothing and I'm perfectly happy with this. If I'm lucky the insurance claim will go through - we'll see. (And, let's face it - they need the money more than I do)

I can only say TRAVEL INSURANCE so loud. I travel for work and play and my ta always gives me ins. That's saved my butt so many times.

2 cruises cancelled due to covid ins covered both, and all the ancillary costs.

Also always use a travel agent they help so much with everything especially this kind of thing.

Who is your travel insurance company? I have only heard about travel insurance on the context of not covering it. I am also hearing that "all risk" policies are not covering the covid situation so if there is a company that will not play games, I would like to know who it is. Glad you have had good luck with them.

Who is your travel insurance company? I have only heard about travel insurance on the context of not covering it. I am also hearing that "all risk" policies are not covering the covid situation so if there is a company that will not play games, I would like to know who it is. Glad you have had good luck with them.

My travel agent typically gets me Travelex and one other that I can't remember. I justk now she has the Travelex guys cell number. But that being said my wife is a (my) travel agent. She spends a lot of time looking for the policy that suites the trip most. The most secure are cancel any reason policies and those are a bit more expensive.

Honestly the insurance is pricesless and having a Travel agent more so. The TA helps plan but in bad situations they become your champion with these vendors. Hilton thinks your a single trip income and don't care if you get mad, TA's are millions of trip incomes and if they get mad you stop getting that business.

Case in point I said we had 2 cruises covered
1st ten day cruise on princess right when this popped. She called the Cruise lines the hotels the dive shops ( I had 6 dives booked ) and had it all moved to our new cruise leaving the next day for no cost. Then the ins company covered our room, meals, etc for the extra night. 2nd cruise gets canceled and we decide to spend a day at Disney then head back. Ins covered all the extra costs and refunded us evertything we didn't recover from the cruise line and the excursion companies. Two dive shops wanted to be jerky about the no cancel/refund policy we just got the ins to cover it

The only money we lost after 2 failed cruises during covid was the 79.00 ins fee we paid on the second trip.

If you have a contract that states you were entitled to a refund (or similarly comprehensive legislation) then, by all means, fight your battles. I am. But if you signed up for a 'no refunds' trip with no other protection or contractual recourse. Take the ***ing hit.

In your view, does a frustrated contract offer protection in law?

Frustrated contracts

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom