Victoria Vis conditions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After one great dive at Madrona Point a couple of weeks ago, visibility has for the most part disappeared.

Dove at Madrona Point this morning - 5 feet at best until we got past the 70 foot mark, then it opened up a bit.

Dove at Oak Point yesterday - about 5 feet in the shallows, then cleared up to about 20 feet when we hit 50 foot depth.

Last Thursday at Dolphin - pretty well a braille dive - hadn't cleared up at 70 feet so we aborted the dive.

Divegoose

Dove at Madrona Point last night. Soupy in the shallows, but cleared up at about 40 feet. About 30 feet of visibility on the big wall.

Divegoose

Had a nice long dive (80 minutes) at Oak Leaf on Saturday. A bit soupy in the shallows, but cleared after we passed the thermocline. Estimate 30 - 40 feet of visibility at depth. Highlight of the dive was locating a Penpoint Gunnel near the end of the dive. Don't believe I had ever seen a penpoint before. Always something new to see at this site.

Divegoose

I did 2 dives up in the Nanoose-area today. At Bonito Crescent, visibility was 8' in the shallows. It steadily cleared as I descended. Below 30' deep it really opened up. By the time I was below 60' deep, visibility must have been 60-80'. At a second dive at the end of Oak Leaf Drive, visibility was pretty much the same, but not quite as good down deep (maybe "only" 50').

Dove at Madrona Point yesterday morning. Tide was on a high slack so no current. Very soupy down to about 60 feet, but cleared up after that. Although clear the heavy soup layer made it quite dark. The only thing that consistent with visibility so far this year is the inconsistency. Dove at Tyee a few days ago, and it cleared up nicely after about 25 feet.

Divegoose

I did a dive at the North tip of Pender Island today (Walden Rd. access). Visibility in the shallows was maybe 6'. I could just barely see the hazy outline of my fins when I looked back. Below 20' deep, it cleared slightly to about 10'. My max depth was 50'. I did a second dive at the South tip of the Penders at Tilly Point. Visibility there was great, -a bright 30+'.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom