Crane Day 2020 - Tobermory, Ontario, Canada - 4K Time lapse

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pretty neat, do they just leave the boats parked in the parking lot over the winter season then?

Divers Den just released the rules that they have been given. I suspect that things could well change through the season, but for now, this is what they just put out on Facebook this evening:

Tobermory diving is open for June 1!!!

But here’s the facts… (yep, there’s a BUT)

1) BOAT DIVING ONLY – 4 divers to a boat to adhere to provincial guidelines (The Park is open to permitted operators ONLY at this time)
2) NO TUGS, LIGHTHOUSE or LITTLE COVE – these are still closed until further notice by Parks/Municipality. Please adhere to these regulations. We work closely with Parks and the Municipality and ask you to respect the rules put in place. You don’t have to agree with them, but we do expect you to follow them.
3) POLICIES WILL BE IN PLACE to protect our staff, customers and town. You will be notified of them and you will be expected to follow them.

Other than that, our booking calendar will be open soon! Keep an eye on Facebook for further announcements!

LET’S GET WET!!!

This was a nicely mesmerizing video.

I was just speaking with one of the administrators of the Park regarding permits. The dive tag programme is suspended temporarily, but once they see how things are going, that might change. Likely they'll make tags available through Divers Den.

If you're diving from a private boat, you will still need a restricted access boat permit. They may be providing these via email until the office opens. Best to contact the Park directly, or at least keep an eye on their FB page.

Bruce Peninsula National Park and Fathom Five National Marine Park

Pretty neat, do they just leave the boats parked in the parking lot over the winter season then?

Pretty much... fluid changes and maintenance. Some of the larger boats belonging to Blue Heron are left in the water and "bubbled" to keep the ice from damaging them.

I was just speaking with one of the administrators of the Park regarding permits. The dive tag programme is suspended temporarily, but once they see how things are going, that might change. Likely they'll make tags available through Divers Den.

If you're diving from a private boat, you will still need a restricted access boat permit. They may be providing these via email until the office opens. Best to contact the Park directly, or at least keep an eye on their FB page.

Bruce Peninsula National Park and Fathom Five National Marine Park

Hey Stoo...

Other than a tiny peep hole opening up in the diving...and DD...

What's happening in the rest of the town...regarding opening...hotels/shops/restaurants/hardware store/bank/beer/groceries/camping...etc...as well as permit grace...is paid parking up and running...

Anyone travelling into Tobermory right now will be challenged for the simplest things...like ''pee stops''...it's one thing for guys to pee along the side of the road...girls...not so much...with gas station rest rooms/Tim Horton's washrooms still closed...lots of puzzle pieces still missing...

Does Kelly have a system in place for serving customers/filling cylinders...I know there are only four divers being allowed on the boats...but maintaining social distancing...wearing masks...not wearing masks/rinse bucket...mouth and nose fluids post dive...and the list goes on...

Last September...Last weekend of summer extravaganza...there were over 50 divers in the shop awaiting their turn on the analyzer and fills...how are situations like that going to be handled now...I have my own analyzer...and right now I don't want to handle someone elses analyzer...shop or otherwise...further...are cylinders going to be disinfected before/after they're filled...silly...maybe under normal conditions...but these current pandemic conditions are anything but ordinary...

My wife is a cancer survivor with a compromised immune system...what am I going to end up bringing home to her...

I hope someone/someones...are doing their home work...because...''boats in the water''...with all the other holes still uncovered means little to nothing...and believe me...there is no one who wants to go to Tobermory any more than me...

Warren

I think your concerns regarding how DD plans on working through this are best addressed by them. When I was there last weekend, they were in the process of rearranging the shop and effectively blocking off everything past the entrance way. I think the plan is for "us" to drop our tanks in that little vestibule area where a staff member will disinfect them, fill them, return them, disinfect them...

Or at least that's what they were discussing last weekend. This is hard for all businesses, and dive shops are facing challenging times. Honestly, I'm grateful that they're open at all. I suspect Mike and Kelly had that discussion... Take the year off.

As far as I can see, paid parking is not in effect (yet?).

I think if you are expecting an easy solution, you're best to pass on coming at all this year, or leave it until later in the season. Or perhaps bring enough tanks to get you through the weekend.

As for the rest of town, things are slowly coming to life. Take-out at the Crowsnest (with lineup), and Princess. Hotels are looking like they're ready to open, ATM is open, grocery store, LCBO etc. Masks are appreciated.

Bear in mind that there is still a travel ban in effect in Ontario and the border isn't open. I could count the number of tourists I've seen on four hands. The ferry starts Monday, but only for essential commercial traffic. It's slated to open to everyone late June I believe.

Remember that diving makes up a tiny proportion of the tourism spend in Tobermory. It's impossible to know what the summer will bring. Some businesses may not open at all if the non-diving people don't return.

I rent my place out on AirBnB. We can't operate at all at this point, although I am almost fully booked for July and part of August at this point, which is behind last year, but looking promising.

When you are packing your gear to come, I recommend packing a double load of patience as well.

Back
Top Bottom