A piece of Calypso

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Erich S

Contributor
Reaction score
6B22B414-27C0-4AEE-8486-4E330F9A9F03.jpeg
A piece of wood from Calypso from the 1980s given by the Cousteau Society for a large donation for the rehab of Calypso.
Anyone else have one?
6B22B414-27C0-4AEE-8486-4E330F9A9F03.jpeg

When I was 16 I visited my grandmother in Florida.
The Calypso was in dry dock. Long story short she managed to get me on it with one of the engineers.
He gave me some wood and nails but Not sure where they are, not sure I still have them. I was able to take some pics including the engineer, the Calypso’s bell, and Jacque’s quarters showing logs on his bunk. Had a tour of whole the ship. And finally he showed me a project they were working on “Vent Deux”.
I’ll look for the pics and post them.

When I was 16 I visited my grandmother in Florida.
The Calypso was in dry dock. Long story short she managed to get me on it with one of the engineers.
He gave me some wood and nails but Not sure where they are, not sure I still have them. I was able to take some pics including the engineer, the Calypso’s bell, and Jacque’s quarters showing logs on his bunk. Had a tour of whole the ship. And finally he showed me a project they were working on “Vent Deux”.
I’ll look for the pics and post them.

That may have been around the same time my aunt got to look at the ship in Miami; she still has one of the Calypso's name stencils framed on the wall. Even when dementia was starting to kick in hard almost thirty years later she remembered seeing JYC speak; according to her you could have heard a pin drop as he walked across the stage.

Some years ago, I was lucky enough to meet Armand Davso (he was very close to Philippe Cousteau and was one of the people involved in the designing of the SP300 'Denise', the diving saucer (soucoupe plongeante, no idea if the nickname was ever the same in English), twice, around a glass of Pastis. He was the kindest old timer you can ever wish for, and was happy as schoolboy while sharing his memories.

I met Albert Falco, a few year before his demise, during the 'Salon de la Plongée' in Paris, we just exchanged greetings and a few words, but still he was kind and terrific, not in the least diva like.

Some years ago, I was lucky enough to meet Armand Davso (he was very close to Philippe Cousteau and was one of the people involved in the designing of the SP300 'Denise', the diving saucer (soucoupe plongeante, no idea if the nickname was ever the same in English), twice, around a glass of Pastis. He was the kindest old timer you can ever wish for, and was happy as schoolboy while sharing his memories.

I met Albert Falco, a few year before his demise, during the 'Salon de la Plongée' in Paris, we just exchanged greetings and a few words, but still he was kind and terrific, not in the least diva like.

Albert Falco was as much a childhood hero to me as Mike Nelson was, only Albert Falco was for real! I still have a book of his diving beginnings and his time aboard the Calypso.

@Erich S very nice "piece" of diving history!

Back
Top Bottom