Here is something I learned today about DIN plugs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’ve had tank valves open rattling around in the trunk and have friends whose tank valves got deformed (“mushroomed”) sliding around in truck beds. Metal plugs solve both problems but I do suggest brass chrome-plates ones (others are stainless) for salt water and relief-valve versions for O2 bottles. Never had a hard time removing a stuck unvented plug with a 1” wrench but if you don’t have one you’re SOL.

I’ve had tank valves open rattling around in the trunk and have friends whose tank valves got deformed (“mushroomed”) sliding around in truck beds.
Uh, what?

Are you seriously saying that you and your friends routinely drive around with your cars and trucks loaded with high pressure gas tanks that aren't tied down safely?

I mean 100% O2 or close to it. It take a huge amount of torque to force open an unventilated steel DIN plug that has accidentally been pressurized, and the friction can cause ignition. A number of manufacturers note this.

I don't see any downside of the pressure relief ones, I'm not sure why anyone would ever buy one without that valve. They still will keep your gas from leaking out if you accidentally crack the valve, but if that happens, you can easily depressurize the space behind the plub and remove it...
Thanks for posting on the 100% That's a huge factor to always take into consideration.
I've seen a lot of careless divers, and how shall I say "Simple." accidents where a tank has fallen and damaged the valve.
(It doesn't take much.)
I use "Highland." plugs that have a relief, and are of high quality. I use them in "All." my tanks. I sometimes use the "Inserts." in my Oxygen bottles. Whether, plug, or insert, I strictly use them for valve protection "Only." I am not concerned about air loss, dust, debris, or insects.
I do NOT batten them down.
Cheers.
Screenshot_20200530-213211.jpg

Screenshot_20200530-215735.jpg

Uh, what?

Are you seriously saying that you and your friends routinely drive around with your cars and trucks loaded with high pressure gas tanks that aren't tied down safely?[/QUOTE
Yes, we’re reckless.

Uh, what?

Are you seriously saying that you and your friends routinely drive around with your cars and trucks loaded with high pressure gas tanks that aren't tied down safely?

Can you please recommend a convenient way to secure tanks in the back of a 2016 RAV4?

Can you please recommend a convenient way to secure tanks in the back of a 2016 RAV4?

Pool Noodles/Pipe insulation, Rope, Bungee cord and some imagination ...

Pool Noodles/Pipe insulation, Rope, Bungee cord and some imagination ...
I've made a rope ladder from a piece of rope and some pieces of wood. Stack the tanks with the bottom against the rear seat back, load other stuff on top. Those tanks aren't going anywhere unless I roll over. My current car has D-rings for strapping down baggage, and a ratchet strap across the tanks secures them even more.

This works for me.

Attachments

• IMG_20200531_120557421.jpg
    IMG_20200531_120557421.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 59
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom