Update Cairns GBR diving resuming

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What, if anything, will you be doing with regard to disinfecting gear and or dealing with out of air emergencies.? I asked this question in light an active thread here on Scubaboard.

What, if anything, will you be doing with regard to disinfecting gear and or dealing with out of air emergencies.? I asked this question in light an active thread here on Scubaboard.

Million dollar question and working out the social distancing is causing the delays. Disinfecting the gear is not an issue as each person is issued their own kit and its thoroughly cleaned before, and after each trip. Out of air emergencies use an alternate air source also cleaned so again should not be an issue.

Its how they can keep people socially distant on the boats is taking some time to work out. Right now with many of the restrictions being lifted its going to be easier, and for the Queensland domestic market I think will not pose much of a problem. Once overseas visitors start coming then I think new measures will need to be implemented.

Mike Ball and Spirit of Freedom Ribbon Reef trips
Contact us directly for more detailed info on availability or prices as their offices are still down for the short term.

As of today Mike Ball are starting up low profile. Our web page here has more info, but as of 18th June they will be running 1 trip per week departing Thursdays and returning Mondays. 1 week each month the boat will be out of the water.

The 5 night 4 days trips will be running until March 2021 when it's expected the normal twice weekly trips will return.
After 23trd July a 7 day trip is planned and occasional 7 day or special trips will be scheduled every now and then, also Thursday departure.

Right now its sole occupancy prices (but reduced) and only can share if from the same household. These sole occupancy prices are only currently for bookings and travel to 31st July when its expected Covid-19 restrictions will be updated.

Spirit of Freedom have now revised a return date of March 2021 but may well review if business picks up and borders open with less Covid-19 restrictions applied.

Outer Reef trips
Ocean Quest is taking firm bookings for travel after 1st November
Other operators like Pro Dive and Reef Encounter may follow the same path but again are considering September as a likely start depending on how restrictions are lifted.

Will keep updating this thread as I get more info but feel free to PM or write directly if needed. :)

Weekend day trips to the Outer Reef on AquaQuest starting June 20th

@Mike1967 this caught everyone off guard and only found out today. Booking have been taken for later in the year so still hopeful but unless restrictions really drop soon they are running with minimal trips or risk.

Will update as soon as I hear more but did PM you about other option

Do you know if anyone is running longer trips in Jan, we really wanted to make it out to the outer reef?

We were booked on a 7 day outer reef trip with Mike Ball for Jan 7 but sadly they cancelled it and no longer have any ones planned in Jan.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom