Have you reached a Diving "Plateau. "

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After 49 years of diving, 10 of those as a commercial diver, my plateau is back to where I started. This is what I do to relax, so I am primarily interested in shallow and long dives in clear warm water. Anything else just seems like work now. I still do some work for people I know but that is mostly limited to relatively shallow water salvage. I do about half diving surface supplied off a kayak as I live in a place where beach access is very limited. This gets me to places many divers can’t reach.

After 49 years of diving, 10 of those as a commercial diver, my plateau is back to where I started. This is what I do to relax, so I am primarily interested in shallow and long dives in clear warm water. Anything else just seems like work now. I still do some work for people I know but that is mostly limited to relatively shallow water salvage. I do about half diving surface supplied off a kayak as I live in a place where beach access is very limited. This gets me to places many divers can’t reach.
Where to you Kayak dive-- in the Sound?

Sure hope not. Started diving in 1966 without any certification. Bought my gear and the dive shop owner said: breathe slowly and never hold your breath. 54 years later at 70, I’m still an active status NAUI Instructor, live in North Florida and do mixed gas staged decompression cave dives. But still enjoy Caribbean reef diving. In fact in February this year did 40 dives in two weeks at CoCo View. No plateau here, any dive is an adventure.

Where to you Kayak dive-- in the Sound?

I usually go out east for the better visibility. I generally paddle 5 miles or less. With the available launch sites and going only 5 miles I can reach about 90% of the shoreline. Is there an area you needed information about?

I usually go out east for the better visibility. I generally paddle 5 miles or less. With the available launch sites and going only 5 miles I can reach about 90% of the shoreline. Is there an area you needed information about?
No just curious. I've done some shore diving on eastern LI (Montauk, Orient, Noyack Bay, etc.). Agree visibility is a bit better than closer to NYC and in CT.

I certainly haven't hit a plateau but have stagnated this year because of the demands of self employment. I finally made it back into the water in August because I was shepherding my grandson through his OW cert. He finished on 9/27, the day before his 12th birthday. I'm looking forward to years of diving with him, like that Subaru commercial with the grandfather and grandson surfing...
I've had a long fascination with CCRs, did some pool work and one quarry dive about 8 years ago, and I keep thinking about taking the plunge. But since most of what I get a chance to do is the quarry or Bonaire, I wonder if I want to add that level of expense and complexity to what is my truly zen thing

Yes I’ve definitely plateaued, there’s only so much to see and do locally, also not having many people to share the experiences with, it doesn’t seem to have the appeal it once did.

Yeah, it was when I was informed that I had survivor bias.

Now diving just doesn’t seem interesting anymore.

Mastering panic-inducing Carbon Dioxide buildup is priceless. Knowing that you can hold your breath far longer than you ever imagined doesn't hurt either.
That was a real eye opener for me. I was 56 when I took the course and held my breath for 5 minutes. Of course, my son had to beat the old man and did 5 min 8 sec, popped up and blacked out. Running out of air at 30 meters?.... we got this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom