Something remarkable in quarry diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Last year on my first dive at American (actually the one I showed the graph of in the OP) as I started the dive, I was descending face up with my back down. As I neared the bottom, I flipped forward and was face to face with a big paddlefish. It took me by quite a surprise and it looked so odd I was thinking "What the hell am I looking at!" About the time I realize what it was it turned and slowly swam away. My wife had been watching this and got quite the chuckle out of it.

Last year on my first dive at American (actually the one I showed the graph of in the OP) as I started the dive, I was descending face up with my back down. As I neared the bottom, I flipped forward and was face to face with a big paddlefish. It took me by quite a surprise and it looked so odd I was thinking "What the hell am I looking at!" About the time I realize what it was it turned and slowly swam away. My wife had been watching this and got quite the chuckle out of it.

:rofl3:

I dove Gilboa Quarry in NW Ohio this weekend for the 1st time. Not nearly as warm as you experienced but I wonder what kind of change a system like that would have. For us it was 48*F at 45'. Apparently it was 40*F at 40' but I did not venture that far down. I only lasted about 30 min total time before it was time to get out.

The thickest I go is a 5mm and I need to try the area out before I would commit to spending more money on better cold gear. I had a great time so the saving/spending will begin, lol.

I'll be back to Gilboa next weekend. Nice and cold. I was out there a few times over the winter. 5mm at Gilboa? :rofl3: What possessed you to try it with only a 5mm? :p

Haigh, my quarry south of Chicago, just opened today. We had one guy with 5mm, 2 people with 7mm, and 2 of us diving dry. It was around 55F at 30ft. First dive was on the shallow side (no more than 30ft). Second dive we did a tour on the wall on the deep side (no deeper than 60ft). I stayed around 25-30ft. The guy with the 5mm decided to go down to about 40ft. He said he froze. Duh. :D

I'll be back to Gilboa next weekend. Nice and cold. I was out there a few times over the winter. 5mm at Gilboa? :rofl3: What possessed you to try it with only a 5mm? :p

I might head up again this weekend also. Had to try it at least once to see how it was. The cold water gear is expensive!! I will figure something out. I did the 5mm at Ginnie Springs and had no issues with some hour long dives. I bet I could build up a tolerance but not sure if it is worth it!

I might head up again this weekend also. Had to try it at least once to see how it was. The cold water gear is expensive!! I will figure something out. I did the 5mm at Ginnie Springs and had no issues with some hour long dives. I bet I could build up a tolerance but not sure if it is worth it!

Ginnie's what - 72F? Gilboa has quite the reputation for being cold. You think a 7mm is expensive, try drysuits. Heated undies, etc. :wink:

Ginnie's what - 72F? Gilboa has quite the reputation for being cold. You think a 7mm is expensive, try drysuits. Heated undies, etc. :wink:

A 7mm would be a waste, and I know how much dry suits are....hence my situation. So, as I said, looks like I'm saving for a drysuit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom