One dead, one injured - Pensacola, Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Diver dies after suffering from decompression sickness off Pensacola coast
NEW ORLEANS – The Coast Guard medevaced two divers reporting symptoms of decompression sickness offshore Pensacola, Florida, Monday.
One 55-year-old male diver was transported to Spring Hill Medical Center, and one 66-year-old male diver was pronounced deceased by EMS upon arriving to shore.
Watchstanders at Coast Guard Sector Mobile received a report at approximately 12:30 p.m. that two male divers from the commercial dive boat H2O Below were suffering from decompression sickness roughly 21 nautical miles southeast of Pensacola.
Sector watchstanders directed the launch of an 45-ft Rescue Boat-Medium boatcrew from Coast Guard Station Pensacola to the divers’ location.
The boatcrew performed CPR on the 66-year-old diver while transporting both men back to Station Pensacola. The survivor was airlifted to the hospital upon arrival.

Good bet that they had been on the aircraft carrier Oriskany. If I am remembering correctly that is about 24 miles off the coast and sits in a little over 200 feet of water.

This demonstrates the distance between hyperbaric chambers that are set up for diving emergencies....

I hope more info is forthcoming. I heard that the divers were from my local area, they were both on CCRs, and both units had just been serviced. I am very sorry to hear one of them passed away. I hope we can learn more about what happened and maybe save some future people (like maybe even me) from having the same kind of accident.

From the Blue Octopus Website:

In Loving Memory of Michael T. Wright

13 September 1954 – 1 June 2020

On June 1, 2020 Michael “Mike” Wright passed away in a fatal accident in Pensacola, Florida. He was 65 and is preceded in death by his father Edward Wright. He is survived by his wife Jo Ann Wright, his mother Rona Wright, his brother Thomas Wright, his sister Janet Nelson, daughters Samantha Wright, MayB Sersland, Heather Sersland, and his Grandchildren Tylyn Sersland, Steven Whiting, and Samantha Seip-Bayes.

Mike had many hobbies some of which include cycling, shooting, and most importantly diving. Mike started recreational diving in 1994. Upon (first) retirement he was able to invest more time into diving and started to pursue the path of instructor. Combining his passions for teaching and diving he earned multiple PADI certifications achieving the level of Master Scuba Instructor. He also became the owner of Blue Octopus Scuba in Alexandria, Virginia. He dedicated himself to his dive shop, teaching, and helped introduce many others to the joy of diving and his passion for it.

The complete obituary can be found at Michael Wright Obituary - Pensacola, FL

Mike will be buried at sea at Neptune Memorial Reef in Biscayne Bay off the coast of Miami, Florida. Mike has a memorial fund to Project Aware to help preserve the sea that he loved. Donations can be made to https://bit.ly/MichaelTWright

R.I.P. Mike!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom