Diving with a temporary filling?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Moby Dickins

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am waiting to get a crown put in to one of my molars, if there any risk in diving with a temporary filling I got after my root canal?

I was watching a DAN video about teeth exploding because of improper fillings. What they didn't mention is how common this is.

Do not dive until at least the permanent filling is put in place. When the temporary filling is done there is an air space that is easily compressed or expanded depending on movement in the water column. Likewise flying with a temporary filling can be equally painful.

Well I broke down and called my endodontist, he said it should be fine. Additionally, I am a pilot and have flown many many times since getting the temporary filling and haven't noticed any pain. Granted, the pressure difference is much greater for scuba diving than flying a pressurized aircraft.

Hell, I did multiple dives with what was a severe infection in one of my teeth. I didn't know it at the time, but had no problems at all.

For at least six months, I was getting a bump on one place on my gums. I could cause my finger to pop it. It never hurt at all. During a regular cleaning, I asked about it. Of course, it wasn't showing up for the appointment. The hygienist said it was a blocked saliva duct. Again, I had no pain. I had at least one, maybe two, dive trips with no problem. It wasn't until the infection tried to break through the roof of my mouth did my (former) dentist diagnose the need for a root canal. If that infection didn't explode my tooth, or even cause some pain, I'm pretty sure you're safe.

You will probably be OK as long as they did a good job on the temporary and didn't trap any air in it.

Having said the above, temporaries are temporary by design. I have had temp fillings and a crown come off just chewing soft food.

Be prepared to not inhale something that pops off while diving.

I had a temporary fill after a root canal. I got clearance from both my endodontist and a dentist to dive. However, neither one are divers nor know about diving. Corona cancelled my trip, so I never had to try it out. I had a permanent filling placed. Interestingly, after the root canal was drilled endodontist placed a small cotton wick on the top of the root canal but inside of the tooth under the temporary filling. I didn’t know about it until when dentist removed it. I guess, it is a common practice so the dentist knows how deep to go to get entire temporary filling out. With that, I suppose there is a space that may have some air trapped and could be compressible at a different rate than the rest of the tooth. It is a completely sealed space. I tried to wrap my head around it from diving physics standpoint but could not think of a reason why it could be more of a problem than the regular filling, which I understand can be bothersome for some with pressure changes.
To @GJC point, the temporary did break after about 3 months because dentist was open only to emergencies with COVID restriction, but then I was able to get in once it became a more urgent matter... So if diving at remote location with a temporary , you may have to be prepared to look for a local dental expertise, as well as accept a small risk of aspiration. Temporary filling is called temporary for a reason. Good luck.

I dove unknowingly with a severely decayed tooth under a crown a few years ago. It was moderately painful on descent due to the air pocket created by the decay compressing the tooth, but once at depth it was not an issue, and not on ascent.

While I cannot give you any advise about the temporary filling, I will say, to all, that I think it's important to inform the dentist that you're a diver and they should take additional caution to ensure that there are no air cavities in any dental work performed. I always mention it to any dentist who has done work in my mouth, every visit... (they see a lot of patients, even if they remember you, they may not remember that you're a diver... LOL)

If you had endodontic therapy that was completed, the tooth prepped for a crown and a temporary on, you will be fine. The endo removed the pulp from the tooth and sealed the inner chamber(s) completely and tightly. The tooth is dead. The worst that could happen is at depth some air gets under the temp, expands as you ascend and the temp pops off the tooth. Forget about it and have fun.

Hell, I did multiple dives with what was a severe infection in one of my teeth. I didn't know it at the time, but had no problems at all.

For at least six months, I was getting a bump on one place on my gums. I could cause my finger to pop it. It never hurt at all. During a regular cleaning, I asked about it. Of course, it wasn't showing up for the appointment. The hygienist said it was a blocked saliva duct. Again, I had no pain. I had at least one, maybe two, dive trips with no problem. It wasn't until the infection tried to break through the roof of my mouth did my (former) dentist diagnose the need for a root canal. If that infection didn't explode my tooth, or even cause some pain, I'm pretty sure you're safe.
Completely irrelevant. There was no enclosed space, in fact the infection was draining through the gum preventing the build up of pressure

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom