Looking for advice for tech regs to buy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hadn't realized there was no 5th port, those are off my list then, thanks
I value the bottom port far more than I value the swivel for reference. Not a lot of circumstances when you fully deploy a long hose, but my sidemount regs do all have swivel ports

I value the bottom port far more than I value the swivel for reference. Not a lot of circumstances when you fully deploy a long hose, but my sidemount regs do all have swivel ports

makes sense

DST and FSR with 5th port kit are both very good choices for first stages and will give you good and proper hose routing.
I never understood the point of the Tek3 stages for backmount to be honest.

I simply suggest that, whatever regs you choose, you service them yourself. I would never leave another "technician" to mess with my regs!

while I understand your sentiment, how is your dive insurance affected if you service your own gear without being qualified to do so?

I know that if I do anything to my water heater in my house, and I'm not a qualified plumber, then my household insurance doesn't cover anything if there is a subsequent fire or a flood.

and what's the consensus on the Hollis 200LX DCX pairing for backmount doubles?

I've borrowed a set of DCX and 200LXs, omni swivels. Very nice set up but the reality is I didn't buy them. They're very nice but the price is/was so significant, I just didn't see the value. The DCX setup is no different from any other swivel turret reg. 5th port swivel turret SM regs are the go for backmount, I just switch a few hoses and swap the HP ports between BM and SM.

Tek3s, they breathe fine but otherwise don't mount as nicely as conventional designs. 3 low pressure ports, 1 HP and not great locations. But, if they're cheap, they will work.

As for servicing regs, they're really simple devices but just be honest about your mechanical aptitude. I've seen many people that do not trust qualified people to fix their car, but their own work is atrocious. It's not rocket science but score a sealing surface and its a mission to recover it. Lately I've had mine serviced locally, if they were being sent away I'd probably do them myself.

while I understand your sentiment, how is your dive insurance affected if you service your own gear without being qualified to do so?

I know that if I do anything to my water heater in my house, and I'm not a qualified plumber, then my household insurance doesn't cover anything if there is a subsequent fire or a flood.

That's a typical US problem. Here in Europe insurances do not work that way. First of all, here in Italy we have a completely-comprehensive and free health national system, so any medical treatment and related expenses (such as transportation on an ambulance, helicopter, boat) is free.
I have the DAN-Europe insurance, which is just integrative, they will cover additional expenses which, for any reasons, should incur. In the clauses I do not see anything about qualification of the technician who serviced my regulators...

Furthermore, who says that I am not qualified?
First of all I am an engineer. Master degree and also PhD. I am entitled to design and test any mechanical device, even a car or an aircraft. If I can design, build and test them, who says I cannot service them?
Second, when I was young, and bought my second Scubapro MKV (which at the time was meaning a MK5+109), the owner of the shop sent me to Scubapro Italy, in Casarza Ligure, for being trained servicing these regs. I spent a whole day there, working side by side with one of their technicians, and at the end I was declared qualified for servicing all their piston regs.
I have no paperwork proofing that, but since them I serviced more than 100 regulators, some for the shop, and some for my family and friends. Of course always employing fully original parts, which are easy to find even 40 years after my regs were built.
Last point was my training as an instructor. At the time servicing equipment was part of training. This did include even pure-oxygen closed circuit rebreathers, devices which are probably 50 times more dangerous than a simple regulator of the times. We were asked to proof our capability of dismounting, remounting and tuning a typical regulator (usually an Aquilon, some times a Mistral) and a CRESSI ARO.
So my instructor certification, alone, should suffice for servicing regulators and rebreathers. Perhaps not the modern ones, there was nothing electronics there.

I see that here on SB many other divers have exactly my same approach, and service regulators themselves. It is objectively safer. Of course, who does this needs to have some understanding on how a regulator works, should have access to the proper tools and instrumentation for tuning, and should be able to supply all the required parts, including the technical service manual for the specific model being serviced.

My insurance is not affected with DAN, however there are at least 3 brands that will train you to service. Hollis is one of the most difficult brands to get parts kits for, and for many other reasons involving acquisition by Huish, I would recommend to avoid them unless you are working for a shop that requires it. They are certainly no different to any of the really cheap Taiwanese regs *think Deep6 DGX versions or DRiS whatever they're called*, and are not worth paying the premium for the name that comes with notoriously horrific customer service.

I'm not trying to recommend Hollis regs for tech. But, I do have to say that I've had at least 3 interactions with Huish support in the last 9 months and they've all been good. 2 involved sending me some parts at no charge and promptly. Those were both Hollis things and the other was just answering questions about some Atomic stuff.

For tech regs, I would only buy ones with a swivel turret and a bottom port. They give the ultimate in flexibility for configuration and future adaptability. Why buy anything else?

For tech, I have and use Atomic M1, ScubaPro Mk 25EVO/G260, Dive Rite XT1/2. They all work very well. I would also put the Deep6 Signature regs in the same category. The only reason I don't have any of those is that I got the others at Key Man pricing and I don't get Deep6 for that kind of deal.

Back
Top Bottom