Resort's " New Normal " Rule - No AIR 2 or diving your long hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like this and hope it becomes the new standard because the necklace is a better primary regulator since it is more difficult to be knocked far away from my mouth. I would only say that the long hose regulator should not be clipped to the D-Ring but should be attached via an easy breakaway connector such as an octo holder.

How often are y'all running out of air to even be concerned?

Ive been diving 8 years and over 300 dives and I've never shared air other than in training.

If you even got Covid from a donated reg the chances of you dying are still pretty low. Drowning because of all this nonsense will certainly kill you.

I'm for modified training procedures while and class. Passing used regs back and forth in class would be a bad idea but if I'm out diving and somehow completely run out of air I'll gladly take a contaminated reg from anyone.

the romans brought the foot

the inch was 3 ripe barley corns laid end on end ... it predates the romans ... references back to the time of the viking invasions
nice. Can you post a reference pls?

I like this and hope it becomes the new standard because the necklace is a better primary regulator since it is more difficult to be knocked far away from my mouth.

Did you know that a loot of regs came standard with a necklace back in the '60's and into '70's, possily before? And crotch straps were standard into the '80's, maybe later. I guess everything comes back in style, if you wait long enough.

During supervised diving activities (boat dives, guided shore dives and courses) guests must be in the possession of an alternate air source. This cannot be the alternate air source and inflator hose combo or “air2’’.
Technical diving is to use neckless as primary source of breathing and leave long hose clipped to D-Ring as an option to give gas this way it will remain clean.

What do you think of this " New Normal " Rule?

Would you not go diving at this resort because of this new rule? ( I have decided to not mention the specific dive resort. )

Please stay on topic. This tread is not about which gear configuration you like or don't like.

No, I would not use this resort.

Insisting on people using techniques or equipment configurations that they have not practised with, and are not as effective, to control the small risk of Coronavirus infection in an OOA emergency when the immediate is drowning and death is, frankly, farm animal stupid.

This level of stupidity is compounded by the idea that this risk needs to be dealt with whilst the issue of social distancing on a boat is ignored.

Hopefully this is a hypothetical as I find it hard to believe anyone could be this thick and not have drowned in a shower by now.

This level of stupidity is compounded by the idea that this risk needs to be dealt with whilst the issue of social distancing on a boat is ignored.
Why do you think it is being ignored? It is explicitly part of the rules.

You know what, screw it, I'll put my neck out there. The following is not directed at anyone nor is it in reply or response to any particular individual. The following is not 100% of my thinking, but certainly a portion of it (how large? I'm not sure).... In a few months, this whole Covid thing will be old news.... that means that diving will be diving as normal, eating out will be eating out as normal, going to the movies will be going to the movies as normal....

Basically: Nothing before has ever shaped the course of human life the way this current "affliction" has....... and, for all intent purposes, has been blown way over board..... life will return to normal... it has to, it always has.... No population can live in fear, no population can proceed as normal under the current conditions, and no condition, past or present, has or will prevent the population from continuing as "normal" for the foreseeable future.....

Yes, it was new, yes it was unprecedented, yes it took its toll (and is likely to continue for a time), but so have other things in history, and so will things further in the future... That's the way it goes! There are debates going on about whether or not this stuff was intentional, or whether or not this stuff was mismanaged, but that's not what I'm talking about, and I'm not about to postulate about such topics here. My only point is that this will blow over, the same as every other event in human history.

At one time seatbelts were not mandatory. My first car did not even come equipped with them. Now all cars have them and it is mandatory.

Oh, don't get me started on seatbelts. About 50 years ago the US govt made it mandatory for manufacturers to install them. At the time they were relatively new. It wasn't until 20 years later that states in the US started to pass laws requiring people to wear them. They claim it was motivated by safety concerns, but it really wasn't.

My point comparing mandating alternate air sources for divers to mandating helmets for people driving cars is that:

Both have been available for a LONG time; neither is a new invention or safety development.

Both do have a legitimate use and do provide an additional level of safety.

But the additional level of safety provided is tremendously outweighed by the additional cost and inconvenience.

You have to admit, alternate air sources (i.e. the extra second stage on a typical reg) were not standard a few decades ago, but were quickly adopted as a standard because they added minimal cost and inconvenience while adding a significant benefit. Independent air sources were available then also. And they would have become a standard in recreational diving if the diving community felt that the cost/benefit ratio was reasonable.

I could not go to Buddy Dive. My wife and both my children have Air 2s and I don't have enough extra 2nd stages to give them all one. Funny thing, my son has been diving an Air 2 since 2002 and my wife and daughter have been diving an Air 2 since 2004, they're all still alive. In fact, I dived and Air 2 from 2002 to 2017, and I am alive too. Of course, none of us have ever gone OOA. I still cannot figure out how you could go OOA :)

Fortunately, we use Dive Friends

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom