UV protection while diving??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was bored in lockdown and shaved my head. ( sober at the time too.)

Once we get back to diving I will wear one of these.

Chaos Multi Tubular Headwear - Unisex | MEC

It can double as my face covering too, On the boat ride I will wear it under my regular hat but from gearing up to under water I will wear this.

You need about 10m depth to filter out half the uV radiation,

You can get one of those surfer’s caps that have a chin strap with buckle, I’ve worn those diving before. I usually just wear a Buff now, that I got for snorkeling and spear fishing but now also wear diving.

I’m amazed by how much sun you can get diving, especially shallow when the sun is directly overhead. I forgot my gloves the other day for the first time in a couple of years, and the backs of my hands got sunburned. It was probably a combination of entry/exit and deco, but my gloves are always the very last thing I put on and the first to come off, and I was pretty surprised it was just the backs of my hands that got burnt!

Jim

You need about 10m depth to filter out half the uV radiation,
Where is that number coming from? My quick search suggests UV penetration is not that severe (although still not to be ignored).

For example, from "Penetration of solar UVB radiation in shallow tropical waters and its potential biological effects on coral reefs; results from the central Indian Ocean and Andaman Sea" by Richard P. Dunne and Barbara E. Brown - https://www.int-res.com/articles/meps/144/m144p109.pdf

Screenshot_20200605-024321~2.png

The three locations have decreasing water clarity. PAR is essentially visible light.

According to their measurement, even in the clearest water, 50% of the UV A+B is absorbed by around 2 meters. Unless I'm reading this wrong, which is certainly possible.

I normally dive cold water, so I always wear a hood. That said, while in Jamaica I either wore a sharkskin hood or used marine friendly sunscreen to keep my bald head, face, and ears protected while on the surface. The hood was great for night dives to protect from jellies.

I wear a lycra hood with my 0.5mm wetsuit. I get burnt in shallow dives in board shorts, and cold if it's a 60-70min long dive so I have a very thin neoprene wetsuit rather than other alternatives.

I wear a hat on the boat. It doesn't take much depth in the water to avoid sunburn. I've seen plenty of folks with baseball caps or scuba do-rags underwater, but I don't see the need.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom