Doubles setup recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It was the weight. My LDS had a set they let me try out. Not only could I dive them, but I could move them fairly easily by myself. I manage the HP100s pretty well on my back, but if I'm not wearing them, I always have my buddy help me move them around. It's pain to have to do coordinated moves, but just not worth throwing my back out. I do like the extra gas the 100s give me, and it's necessary on 200' dives. But... 95% of my dives are shallower than 150'. So the 80s would work for nearly all my dives. Sometimes I miss my baby 80s!

Are there minimum GAS VOLUME standards for Fundies?

The only minimum is enough gas to make the dive and to have proper min gas reserves for that dive. There is no specification as to what size tank is required. Although, I doubt they would allow a single LP50, because that would be ridiculous. :rofl3:

I'm 6' 1" tall and prefer my HP80s... Which are new Faber FX80's. I get how some people don't like the shortness of them (they're 6" shorter than an AL80), but it doesn't bother me a bit, and they dive really well. Very balanced. -1.74 lbs empty.

I have 8 HP80s. 4 Fabers bought new are set up as doubles. I have another set of Fabers bought used off a friend that are out on loan to a buddy right now. My other set are galvanized I bought used and I'd have to look to see who the manufacturer is.

I went from diving AL80s single tank to HP80s single tank. They are absolutely delightful being so short.

It was the weight. My LDS had a set they let me try out. Not only could I dive them, but I could move them fairly easily by myself. I manage the HP100s pretty well on my back, but if I'm not wearing them, I always have my buddy help me move them around. It's pain to have to do coordinated moves, but just not worth throwing my back out. I do like the extra gas the 100s give me, and it's necessary on 200' dives. But... 95% of my dives are shallower than 150'. So the 80s would work for nearly all my dives. Sometimes I miss my baby 80s!

I move my HP80 doubles on my back. On the odd occasion (winter pool sessions mostly) when I can't move them on my back, I muscle them out of the back of my Escape into one of those collapsible carts. My dive shop is just lovely and comes out with a hand cart to move my doubles when I need fills. I'm very, very spoiled. At the shop by my former office where I got fills last year, the owner would carry my doubles in and out himself. I'm still building strength, but there is no way I'm going to be slinging my doubles around like I do singles. It's going to be interesting on the boat Sunday. I'm going to need help getting them on board. Boat is big and deck a good bit above the dock. There is a solid set of wooden steps, but there is no hand rail and I just feel unsteady on them even just carrying gear. I'll be able to get my doubles up the ladder after diving, but not on/off the boat loading gear. I'll ask for help and I do tip well. Boat crew is just fabulous and always willing to help. :)

At one regional quarry, where there are too many steps down to the dock/very slippery steps out of the water, the guys I dive with (they insist on me coming) there will strip my doubles off me at the bottom, and I walk up without them. The 80s are so light compared with what they dive, it's nothing. They only ask for tips in the form of cases of Diet Pepsi. :D I'm very lucky with the dive buddies I have.

Edit: I was just told I have to get my doubles on/off the boat myself. Should be an interesting time! :wink:

Hey all.

I'm looking for a little advice here.

I'm a shorter guy (5' 7") with a bad back and bad right shoulder and have really enjoyed sidemount for those reasons (tanks hitting my head or legs, and isolation valve access if too high, carrying lots of weight, etc). However, my friends are jumping into the GUE pool and I'd really like to join them .. so it looks like I'm going to give this whole doubles thing a go and see if I can make it work. The main reason being I am interested in learning to be a better dive team member and expand my skills. Even if it means ditching double after learning in favor of sidemount again, I think it would be valuable.

What doubles setup strikes a good balance between not too long and not too heavy? What size would you recommend? Are there any setup tricks for reducing weight? I feel like every little bit matters for me. My friends all stack double water heaters onto their backs and it hurts just watching.

What are some tricks to dealing with a bad right shoulder and valve access? I'm concerned that especially in a drysuit the reach will be painful.

T...

With your physical limitations...and your apparent uncertainty as to where you want to go with this...I strongly suggest trying several systems...prior to spending any money...remembering...you have to perform considerable lugging on the surface...as well as wearing them while submerged...a pneumatic tire hand cart becomes an important part of your kit...

I dove ''tec configured'' recreational doubles for years...HP steel 80's/HP steel 100's...my frame is slight...anything over the 100's would have been too heavy to manage comfortably...

As well as the comfort of the cylinder selection....harness choice is also very important...for reasons of comfort my choice was an OMS IQ Pack harness...very comfortable with the back-plate fitting into a well padded pocket within the harness...

Although some may disagree...3AL 80 doubles...may make an inexpensive starting point for you...but will require a small amount of ballast to stay neutral as they drain down...with the steel cylinders...you will likely need no additional ballast...during the period of time when I dove doubles full time...I didn't own any ballast...which for me was a big plus...as well as not having to change out cylinders between dives...

There are lots of options...with just as many decisions/pitfalls...think it out well/try as many systems as you can...buy once...

Best of luck...

W...

My dive shop is just lovely and comes out with a hand cart to move my doubles when I need fills. I'm very, very spoiled. At the shop by my former office where I got fills last year, the owner would carry my doubles in and out himself.

When my shop seems me coming, they make me load all the other customers' doubles in addition to mine! :rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom