Sidemounting bailout with a BM RB, pros/cons

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Am I measuring between where the loop is fixed on the backplate and the hip d ring or something else?

Not meaning to hijack this thread,but since we have experience here, I'll put this out.
Im sm'ing my 2 80's very comfortably. It was a natural transition to my breather. But I'm practicing with an 3rd, al40, 100%. And having a hard time with finding enough real estate even with bmcl.
I just can't seem to get clipped up comfortably. I running the 40 under the right 80, so it doesn't ride up at all. I have low profile drings I'm used to from sm. I tried the lower with my right hand, but it's pretty far to get in drysuit/undies. I can't reach under with my left hand, so the next best is to clip the bottom by starting above the 80 and swinging it under, but the top is equally difficult. It's hard to reach around the the top of the 80 and a stretch with my right again. Suggestions?
Are you right or left handed?

Assuming right handed. Move the left hip dring forwards. Make both the hip and chest drings the normal size. Then use a standard stage kit on the 40 and clip in under the left SM bottle.

Leash sounds great BUT if you need to use that gas you have to rotate one of the 80s back. Which given that you are already struggling doesnt sound like a good idea.

Am I measuring between where the loop is fixed on the backplate and the hip d ring or something else?
you need the distance from the bungie to the attachment point on your harness to match the distance from the valve to the clip on the tank

Just out of interest is there a reason why GUE/DIR centric agencies never adopted SM approaches for stages/deco, was it simply to long hose and canister issue?

Sorted for tomorrow, I'm expecting my mask to flatten my nose or it isn't worth it.

Thanks for the pointers, it was remarkably simple. I added some drop d-rings I had knocking around on the waist behind the usual hip ds. Used to 7l alis for training.

It does feel cleaner, chest is more open and swimming was easier inevitably.

Pockets access is a bit of a faff, but probably just something to get used to.

Actually donning and removing was easier due to the absence of the top clip which I wasn't anticipating.

Might split my twinset and use the 12s for longer trips in the mine.

@JonG1 would recommend leaving a neck clip on there if diving off of boats. You don't want to be running around on the surface with the bottles hanging from the bungees. Can do it with a simple prusik loop and a bolt snap to leave it clipped to the shoulder d-rings.

and on the DIR centric. The concept of sidemounting bailout is relatively new and on rigs that they don't use. When the WKPP was doing the big cave pushes, it was all on DPV's where the tails tend to lay down once you get moving and there wasn't a whole lot of kicking going on with that many bottles. Basically not necessary for the types of diving they were doing and an overall resistance to change. Doesn't mean they won't get there, just means they tend to be one of the last ones to make the change

I generally have a loop bungee that I can slide into my backplate if needed.

It does help streamline bottles, but generally, it doesn’t do a whole lot on the DPV as everything kinda ‘slips’ into place.

Pop the bottle out before you hit your gas switch, do the switch, then pop it back in....

Carrying more than 1 bottle, I don’t bother with it as it doesn’t add much benefit. But for carrying just a 50% or O2 bottle....

With my sidemount CCR setup, the CCR is bungeed up, and up to 2 bottles hanging below (or leashed depending on how ‘thin’ I need to be due to space, or current) short (choked) rear clip on the first bottle (especially if it has helium, standard length on the 2nd bottle)

_R

Pockets access is a bit of a faff, but probably just something to get used to.

Once again it comes down to your elbow. Use your elbow and push the bottle back and up, drop your knee if necessary, and put your hand in your pocket. For the longest time I kept trying to reach around the bottle and manipulate my arm. In reality steels and als both move very easily with an elbow that you can push them out of the way to do what you need.

Once again it comes down to your elbow. Use your elbow and push the bottle back and up, drop your knee if necessary, and put your hand in your pocket. For the longest time I kept trying to reach around the bottle and manipulate my arm. In reality steels and als both move very easily with an elbow that you can push them out of the way to do what you need.

and not being afraid of the DIR Nazi's about tucking your knee up to get into your pocket...

Out of interest what catalysed the change in US cave diving to steels over ali in some circles, is it higher storage volume alone or something else.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom