Three dead in Poland last week

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ryszard R

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
3 dead divers in Poland last week:
1. Baltic Sea
2. Piechcin lake
3. Hancza lake
Nobody knows why.. Due to interval in diving?

I will post a Google translation for accident number 3 [my corrections of the relevant translation errors in brackets]:

PART I

"This is one of the few cases in which we can learn the details and circumstances of the unlucky dive. Respect for courage and sharing this information with the diving community for the deceased's partner. Thanks to this, everyone has the opportunity to draw their own conclusions for the future. In this way, the uninterrupted death of one of our diving colleagues can contribute to improving the safety of our own dives.

Introduction

I would like to provide my version of a dive report during which a fatal diving accident occurred.
I would like to inform you that two divers took part in this dive and I am the only living person present during this dive underwater.

There were only two teams in the dive site (2 people, my and the other 3 people - our colleagues), but not connected in any way with a common diving plan or equipment.

For information, the second team performed a shallow (up to 15m) training dive, which started already during our dive and ended before I left the water.

There is no coincidence of these dives and people. There was nobody else in the first parking lot.
For the purposes of this report, I called us Diver 1 (that's me) and Diver 2 (this is my partner who died), Diver 3 (colleague from the second team who will appear in the report)

Preparation

The divers arrived at [lake] Hańcza the day before, i.e. on Wednesday 20.05 at approx. 18.00.
Both in good mental and physical condition.

The dive was planned as a partner [buddy dive], "starting" [shakedown], calm, without any exercises and additional actions and additional equipment. Calm swim from the fin [finning, without DPVs] and watching the available underwater infrastructure.

Planned diving depth is max. 45m time approx. 40 min. Acceptable accelerated decompression 6-10 min. Direction - to the tree, to the boat, then to the dłubanki [old sunk wooden paddle boats] and then straight on the slope to the lake to reach the planned depth or operational time.
On the surface the day before the equipment was checked, i.e. gas and pressure analysis in tanks, calibration of the oxygen sensor, checking the tightness and operation of the PSCR device, checking the absorbent (lime) protection time, so-called stack time, checking lighting and equipment.

Important here: I did not personally participate only in the analysis of Diver 2 back cylinders, which were filled at the base in Błaskowiżno on Thursday morning.

Description of the equipment

Diver 1 - passive reabreather PSCR Tres Presidentes, Divesoft PPO2 monitor, 2 × 8 [llitres] back frame [back gas] (300 bar, TMX 20/20), stand [stage] S80 (220 bar, EAN44), stand [stage] S80 (220 bar, tmx 20/30), stand [stage] S40 (180 bar, oxy), argon (air), dry suit, heating, lights x 3, buoy, 2x bobbin, notebook, backup mask, absorbent stack time available 110 min.

Diver 2 - passive reCRreather PSCR Tres Presidentes, Shearwater Petrel II PPO2 monitor, back frame [back gas] 2 × 8.5 [litres] (200 bar, air), stand [stage] S80 (220 bar, EAN48), stand [stage] S80 (210 bar, tmx 19/48), step [stage] S40 (180 bar, oxy), argon (air), dry suit, heating, lights x3, buoy, 1x spool, notebook, backup mask, absorbent stack time available approx. 140 min.

Diving

On May 21st 2020 there was a dive in Lake Hańcza on the so-called first parking lot.
Two divers Diver 1 and Diver 2 participated in the dive.

Before starting, I asked Diver 2 with a courtesy, but I often do[,] if he wants to dive. He answered yes with a smile.

The dive started around 12:15

In the water, on the surface, equipment testing and modified procedures were performed (including V-drill, S-drill, stejdzy [stage] fastener, stejdz [stage] drill). We no longer checked the gas pressure.

Diver 2 has already decided not to take the S40 oxy tank for this dive in the water.
We both started diving with power [breathing source] from EAN 50.
Visibility was poor about 2-3m (in the morning there was a training group for OWD divers in the lake).

As planned, we stopped at the main 3.5m (near the boulder) and additionally we checked the cylinder stand [stages], laying the hoses, modified S-drill and arranging the equipment to achieve your own comfort (i.e. stretching and arranging the dry suit, arranging the hood and mask, checking the operation of the PPO2 sensor).

We continued as planned. Diver 1 slightly at the front (0.5m) and Diver 2 on the left
At a depth of 23m there was a full partner gas change procedure.
Since then, we've both been running Trimix Z from the second rank [stage].
We continued as planned. Visibility, despite expectations, did not improve, it was max 3m.
We spent about 1.5 minutes. over the dugout and then on a very flat slope into the lake.
Easy, in passive light communication at arm's length and eye contact (about 1m)
In about 24 min. diving mainly 44m I noticed a large burbot and showed it to Diver 2. He turned, looked at the fish and as if slightly surprised and confused began to flow [swim] in the direction of return.

I understood this as a desire to turn back (I was about to communicate [going] back in about 1 minute), the OK sign lightly [with light] confirmed my supposition, so I calmly followed Diver 2 reaching his position, i.e. Diver 2 was next to my right.

Due to poor visibility and navigation, we were swimming about 60-70 cm above the bottom.
After a while, Diver 2 showed me the sign with his left hand - something was wrong.
I gently caught his arm so that he could feel my presence. We have slowed down the already slow pace.

I noticed then that Diver 2 was [swtiched to] open circuited. This is the basic Bailout / OC emergency procedure on PSCR. After switching the BOV, the diver then directly and immediately uses the gas from the two-cylinder set on the squares [back gas].

I kept his arm still and showed my left hand the "Release" ["slow down"] sign in front of his mask.
I said to him "Slow down, Easy ..." Having a loop on the mouth on the PSCR, with a little practice it is possible to talk and verbal communication.

He showed the OK sign with light. As I continued swimming, I felt as if he was getting a positive buoyancy slightly and had to pull him down so as not to lose eye contact with the bottom.
After about 2 minutes flow [swim], mainly about 40 m I noticed that Diver 2 was trying to handle the inflator, but he had trouble catching it.

I squeezed his elbow as a sign of "Stand" ["Stop"], but he did not stop still, he swam, so I served [used] the inflator for him, taking one short discharge of gas from his wing.
Immediately after, I took care of my buoyancy, unscrewed the valve from the dry suit and took a gas discharge, I also dumped a small amount of gas from my wing. I kept 100% consciousness and I thought 100% control over the situation.
I don't know if it lasted 5, 10 or maybe 12 seconds, but when I looked to the right again, Diver 2 was no longer there.

I began to calmly turn in a circle shining [with flashlight]. I did the same with the main flashlight covered, looking for Diver 2 lights in the dark.

Thread [Nothing]. I began to look and shine up towards the surface. Thread [Nothing].
I began to swim in a circle (at least I thought so, because I did not know in which direction I was swimming) and I shone and covered the light. In my head I began to analyze the situation.
The first thought was that mountains must have flown him [he ascended to the surface]. I looked at my computer, I had 17 minutes of decompression due to the fact that I spent an extra few minutes on the bottom searching for Diver2. Going up could have been risky for me, besides I knew that there was a second team on the surface (the 3-person team with an experienced instructor and paramedic), so I decided that there would be no help at the moment, and the crew on the surface will do their best to help the victim. I decided to ascend according to the modified plan.
I found the direction to the exit and emerged down the slope decompressing EAN 50 and oxygen.
I emerged after 57 min about 5-10m to the right of the first parking lot, so almost in the same place where we were submerged.

I did not find a Diver 2 on the surface, his oxygen was where he left him, the second team of 3 divers on the surface did not see anyone and was mostly dressed in civilian clothes.
After leaving [exititing form water] we decided to take the following actions:
- one colleague checked the lake and shore with binoculars
- the other went for DPV scooters
- I with Diver 3 (who agreed to dive with me) decided to go down on scooters for a maximum of 20 min. up to 45m and search the potential strip of our route tacking scooters 20m left and right of the descent line.
We agreed that if we emerge after 20 minutes. to no avail, a shore colleague informs the services [police, ambulance].
We prepared the equipment and in about 20 minutes. we were in the water. The dive took 24 min.
Unfortunately, no result.

Around At 15:00 the services were notified.
A dozen or so minutes later, a large search and rescue operation began (two teams of the Fire Brigade with RIBs and a sonar, a motorboat of the Police, an Ambulance, ground units of the Police and the Guard).

The body was located at a depth of 43m and mined [resurfaced] in the afternoon on Friday 22.05.
All equipment fastened and arranged correctly as I saw it last.
Stejdz [stage] S80 EAN 48 - 160 bar
Stejdz [stage] S80 tmx 19/48 - 170 bar
Double cylinder set 2 × 8.5 [litres] with air - 0 bar (empty)
Main light discharged, computer discharged

PART II

Additional information

• Diver 1 and Diver 2 have applied [appropriate] certificates, licenses and experience for diving to a depth of 45m.

• Diver 2 has dived only on PSCR for about 6 years.

• Diver 2 has performed several dozen dives to a similar or greater depth

• I estimate the number of dives that Diver 2 performed in his life at 350+

• The diver made the last 2 dives (mainly training ones) at the turn of February and March this year, mainly up to 20m.

• Diver 2 had good physical condition (regular general development exercises, bicycle) and mental (stable life, family and professional situation). No obesity, no smoking.

• Diver 2 did not have any chronic or congenital diseases (at least none of his relatives knew about it)

• Diver 2 had very high quality equipment, in perfect condition, regularly serviced and inspected.

• Diver 2 had a 2-year break in diving in his career, but for over a year and a half he regularly dived training and for pleasure only on PSCR both in Hańcza [lake] and in other waters in Poland.

Analysis

By. my assessment and in consultation with experts on the subject, Diver 2 being on optimal gas for max. depth for unknown reasons began to feel discomfort. It could have been carbon dioxide poisoning, increasing anxiety caused by poor underwater conditions (visibility and temperature), equipment inconvenience, relatively long break in diving to such depth - the last such dive was done about 5 months ago, unexpectedly worse mental health or / and physical on that day (e.g. pain, cramps, shortness of breath).

He reacted correctly to these symptoms by saying that something was wrong, but he did not show what was wrong and did not stop and finally switched from closed circuit to open circuit.

The gas in his back (most likely it was air) is not by. some standards optimal to such a depth, although admitted as possible [allowable], possible [permissible] and used for such dives. With the beginning problems (as I wrote above), the transition from trimix to open circuit with air as a breathing factor could additionally cause nitrogen narcosis, respiratory resistance and aggravate only the bad situation of Diver 2. This could cause total confusion and lack of control, getting lost, hyperventilation and possibly loss of consciousness. As a result, it [he] sank to the bottom, then the BOV automatic bypass could be pressed in the mouth and the back gas flow out. The second option is icing of the regulator as a result of hyperventilation and operation of the inflator and, as a consequence, to the free flow of gas. This can explain the empty cylinders on the back.

Certainly there should be no splitting up of the team underwater, divers were both responsible for it, but with the participation of the factors and actions described above, unfortunately, this happened.

The official cause of death was circulatory-respiratory failure, and consequently water in the lungs and drowning.

I don't have a profile from the Diver 2 computer at the moment.

Summary

During this dive I lost a very good friend, one of my diving partners, a great father and husband - just a decent man.
The deceased's family and friends from my surroundings behave wonderfully towards me and they are the support for me and not me [not vice-versa]. Although they honestly do not seem to blame me for this situation, I feel guilty that I could have done something better, faster, more accurately, or let something go, give up or not do anything at all.
Until now, I considered myself a pedantic person in diving (equipment, procedures, trainings, plans, logistics, conservatism), it seemed to me that I was managing the risk well, but all that was not enough.
Unfortunately, time will not go back. I will have to live with it.
Maybe it will make others think, how thin the border can be, how quickly it can be crossed and what little things they can decide.
Thank you to all the services, divers and civilians who helped before, during and after the rescue operation.
At the same time, I agree to the use of this material by anyone who wants it.
Please be advised that I will not reply to this post or forums on any posts, privy, SMS, facebook, etc. in this topic.
I attach a screenshot of my computer screen with this dive's profile.
If anyone has any substantive comments or questions, please contact me personally or by phone.

profil-nurkowania-pscr-hancza-380x253.jpe

Diver 1 dive profile from his computer."

Sources:
forum.divtrek.com.pl http://jollydiver.com/opis-wypadku-na-hanczy-pscr/
Opis wypadku na Hańczy PSCR - Nurkowanie Jolly Diver

I don't understand much at all about rebreathers, but if a diver signals some ambiguous distress, switches from his standard life support system to a bail out system, and you are diving in a LAKE, why in the world would the buddy not start an immediate ascent?

Why continue to swim horizontally at a significant depth and continue to rack up more deco time? Even after the deceased seem to show additional stress and difficulty the buddy describes "pulling him downward" and even after the diver watches his buddy have trouble manipulating a BC inflator, he STILL does not initiate an ascent?

They were diving at 44 meters (145 ft) , the decreased goes from a tri-mix to open circuit air and it is obvious that this would induce narcosis and more stress, yet the buddy decides to continue to SWIM horizontally, accrue more deco, further stress the buddy and allow narcosis to set in? And then when he MUST know his decision to not signal an immediate ascent and his buddy MUST be stressed, he doesn't maintain strict contact and then looses him.

Does this description make sense to RB divers? Perhaps my ignorance of the particular gear is hindering my understanding?

Wouldn't an immediate ascent be indicated after the deceased switch from Trimix on the rebreather to narcotic, open circuit air while in deco?

Edit: After more thought...Is it possible the decision was made because DECO oxygen was left way inshore along the bottom, so he didn't want to just start coming up right away ?

That was exactly my thought. Diver 2 had 120cf of bailout air. That had to have been sufficient to complete deco on its own. At the minimum, why not ascend to something like half depth to sort things out. 147' on air does not seem like a good place for troubleshooting.

Were they so fixated on completing the original dive plan that they failed to realize the plan was already busted?

A question for rebreather divers. What is the standard plan for something like this? How do determine the altered deco plan? I guess you can switch gases on your computer and let it figure it out. Is ratio deco of some sort the next backup?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom