remote exhaust, or a plain elbow ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are failure points that are mostly theoretical and failure points that are items of real concern, especially since you're talking about tech applications. This is the latter.

Plain elbow every time.

my DGX wing came with one, and I was excited to use it because my VDH wing has just a plain elbow. But the truth is, I never use it, because I've never felt comfortable tugging on the corrogated hose, and when wearing a hood, it was hard for me to hear whether it was venting or not. Compared to the kidney dump or bubbles coming out the end of the inflator hose, I always felt like I had poor feedback from the shoulder dump. If I was getting a new wing, I'd go without.

Easier to use the butt dumps. But, I never have that much air in my BC anyways, at least when warm water diving.

I don't see any point for having one, especially since I only use the butt dump when I'm below the surface.

Hey guys, many thanks for all the solid replies (and nary a smart-ass comment
in the bunch !!!:D What are the chances of that ?? :clapping: :callme:. )
The majority seem to be against them (or at least not see much benefit), which was my general feeling,as well. On the Dive Rite wings I had years ago, I honestly can't recall which type it was. And on the numerous vest-style BC's I'd used over the years, while most seem to have them, I agree with all the posters that said they almost never use them, and were never comfortable tugging on the whole inflator mechanism. Using them always felt kinda lazy, and just plain risky (especially if you've ever seen a diver yanking on one, and he wasn't aware that the internal wire has broken !).
Anyway, thanks again for all the good commentary.

You know I had to re-read your OP. I completely glossed over the tech/cave requirement. While I use that pull dump with an air2 on recreational dives, I use a regular elbow in cave. It wasn't really a decision as I use a diverite nomad there which has a regular elbow. The pull dump is a little larger and could potentially become an entanglement hazard.

Never had a pull dump, never missed it. The inflator valve and the butt dump valve are enough for me. They work like charms.

Besides, a pull dump is yet another potential failure point.

More times than I can count, I have had sand grains or dirt in shoulder dump valves that keeps them from sealing. I dumped the shoulder dump.

My wings all have them but I can not remember the last time I use it. I fact I can hardly remember the last time I went diving :(

I have one on my Apeks Black Ice and there is not one (just an elbow) on my Apeks WTX on twin tanks and I have an Atomic BC2 that has one. I have never had an issue with them either way. I have to say that I don't use the hose dump valve very often, but it has posed no problems. I guess I do not care much one way or the other. I have never seen one fail and I dive all the time at work and recreationally. I do maintain and check everything on a regular basis so that may help. At work there are Scubapro BCD's that have them and they have also not had any issues. I am the Lead Diver, so all equipment maintenance and selection is my responsibility. We have 4 guys diving on a regular basis in Maintenance and a couple qualified on the Submarine crew, so our equipment gets used. Again, we have never had an issue with them. I do not know how many of the other Divers use them on a regular basis though. I use the Black Ice BCD at work.

Back
Top Bottom