Rec Diving a Pony

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not correct. Only the ‘hog loop’ long hose configuration is banned during training dives involving rescuer skills.
You still need the long hose to be your secondary to allow secondary take though. I guess the implication I had with long hose primary was that the other hose was short.

The good points that pushed me over the edge are that I won't always dive with a pony and switching back and forth would be a royal pain. Probably not going to take a pony with me when I travel either, so having the octo will be a necessity.

The good points that pushed me over the edge are that I won't always dive with a pony and switching back and forth would be a royal pain. Probably not going to take a pony with me when I travel either, so having the octo will be a necessity.

what makes you comfortable to dive without a pony when you travel, but not at home?

Nothing, I'm just not willing to endure the pain of getting it there and back. I already have enough stuff.

...I'm REC diving a Pony with a buddy. ...

The first question is "Why"? Why do you think you need a pony for REC diving? If you cannot safely ascend from the bottom on a REC dive with a buddy your issue is with training and adding additional gear will never fix that problem.

More gear is not a substitute for proper training and fitness.

The first question is "Why"? Why do you think you need a pony for REC diving? If you cannot safely ascend from the bottom on a REC dive with a buddy your issue is with training and adding additional gear will never fix that problem.

Ha. Spoken with the arrogance of a true believer. IF your buddy is close, and IF your buddy is paying attention, and IF your buddy knows what the eff they're doing. Unless you have a regular buddy it's likely that one or none of those things are untrue. A pony is simply insurance that if ever you need air you have it because "buddies" are notorously undependable. Don't believe it? Watch this:

Please define REC diving?

I do 30-40m dives with mandatory deco and call it recreational diving. It’s what I was taught to do as part of core training.

Please define REC diving?

Exactly. Something that no amount of training will prevent is the 'happened despite' or 'caused by others' incident. Training might well get you out again though as will equipment such as an independent gas supply.

...Better off with a BCD mounted octo regulator such as an Air2...

I can't help but wonder how many people have actually tried an air sharing ascent while breathing from one of these. Attempting to breath from the same place you have to dump you BCD from while coordinating two persons buoyancy. All I had to do was describe this to my wife and she was on board for going to necklaced octo and primary donate. Even have here on a 5' primary now.

Back
Top Bottom