Lung damage due to Covid 19

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with your statement that most of the exertion usually happens before and after the dive and even then it is nothing compared to exertion required of professional athletes. The issue at hand, however, has nothing to do with exertion. It has to do with the risk of lung overexpansion injury. Any lung condition that affects elasticity of lung tissue or create blockages or congestion within bronchial system will put a diver at a higher risk of injury. There is a concern that COVID-19 may cause some of this changes that would increase this risk. Someone once told me that “there is no scuba police” , so if one has potential issues that make them higher risk and they accept it, it is “their body their choice” :)
Thanks for that info. I guess we'll find out exactly what the Virus does to lungs at some point. Maybe after they find a vaccine that works.

I know this is the military and not diving but wondering the rationale for the restriction and if it is related to long term health concerns. This is the only logical reason since otherwise I think they would prefer now otherwise healthy recruits that are presumed immune.

The US military is banning anyone who had COVID-19 from enlisting, according to a new memo

I had seen this elsewhere. The stated fact that the ban is permanent is incomprehensible to me. It makes some sense to filter for that in the recruit population right now as a crisis measure, but I have to believe that statement that is permanent is either mis-reported or otherwise distorted somehow. In any case, the DOD, like any bureaucracy, can change its "mind".

I can give a little context to that "permanent" ban.

I used to be in charge of recruiting for the Coast Guard. We use the same accession standards as the other services (but you do need to score better on the aptitude test if you want to be offered an enlistment contract).

Under the new COVID policy, an applicant with a history of COVID will be marked "PDQ" or permanently disqualified. That strikes me as a reasonable safeguard given how little we know about the effects of the virus on the people who have had it and the possible consequences of introducing potential carriers or physically damaged recruits into the military population.

That does not mean that nobody who had COVID will ever join the military or that this policy will remain in place forever.

It is very likely that--after more has been learned about the virus, after a vaccine has been developed, and after the military knows more about what they're buying when they enlist a recruit with a history of COVID--the policy will be modified. Maybe they'll make people with a history of COVID take a lung function test. Maybe it will become a non-issue altogether. Time will tell.

But the military will find a way to manage its need for recruits, its need to safeguard its current forces, its need to ensure its recruits are fit for service, and the evolving state of knowledge about this virus.

There have been other conditions that used to be permanently disqualifying, but are now waivable under certain conditions. For example, it used to be that any applicant who had ever taken Ritalin was permanently disqualified. Eventually the services realized that rule was disqualifying a lot of Eagle scouts, athletes, and other physically active leaders who don't like sitting still in classrooms. So they modified the rule to permit waivers if the applicant hadn't taken it after age 13. That still excluded too many prime candidates, so they modified it again to permit waivers if the applicant has completed a complete year of schooling since his or her last dose of Ritalin.

I expect the COVID policy will evolve similarly. They'll start with a highly cautious policy and modify it as it makes sense.

And this, if true, I did not know...

“We know that, when people have an active infection, vigorous exercise can lower immunity, and that can make the infection worse,” Dr. Phelan said. “That really applies very strongly in people who have had myocarditis. If you exercise when you have myocarditis, it actually increases viral replication and results in increased necrosis of the heart muscle. We really want to avoid exercising during that active infection phase.”

Also note worthy...

“According to Dr. Phelan, existing data suggest a wide range of incidence of 7%-33% for cardiac injury among patients hospitalized for COVID-19. Even the low end of this range, at 7%, is significantly higher than the incidence rate of 1% found in patients with non–COVID-19 acute viral infections.”

Definately worth following - recent research with smokers has shown recovery of lung tissue - as long as a healthy patch of tissue remains. Does occur. But would be a pity if you recover from C19 then cough yr lung out diving :( K

As a follow up, the article of Dr. Frank Hartig has now been published in Wetnotes. There are some clarifications:

- all divers had developed a CoVid-19 induced profound pneumonia
- the clasification of mild, moderate and severe in the article is based on the treatment necessary; severe needs ICU and intubation/ECMO, moderate is hospitalised with oxygen and mild can be cured at home
- a Frank, based on nothing more than gut feeling at present, does not expect that people that did not need treatment at all will suffer permanent issues
- the University of Innnsbruck has started a study including those divers to follow up on possible permanent damage due to CoVid-19, with follow ups currently planned every 3 months

So, not as bad as reporetd by some media, but getting a dive medical is probably not the worst thing over the nexts moths to come

At this stage it would be unwise to make any judgement regarding having covid-19 and being able to continue diving. People who re seriously ill from covid- 19 are usually ill because they have pneumonia. There are different kinds of pneumonia and the effect on the lungs is different and therefore the recovery time is different. Any pneumonia or tuberculosis type of lung infection increases the risk of barotrauma. The longer the time from infection the lower the risk. Think of it as a bit like a boxer with a cut eyebrow, it tend to be more prone to repeat cuts but this increased proneness declines with time. The general guide for diving is that respiratory function should be above 80% of the expected norm for a given person. If you feel well enough to dive and have no symptoms that indicate otherwise then is almost certainly OK to dive. If you don't feel well (or normally well) then don't dive until you feel well and / or have had a medical opinion. Fitness to dive has to be judged on an individuals condition and symptoms, not merely the fact that they have had covid-19.

And yet there are studies like this one from the cruise ship Diamond Princess that demonstrated lung changes in individuals confirmed positive on RT-PCR but asymptomatic.

https://pubs.rsna.org/doi/10.1148/ryct.2020200110

5FF1504B-1B2F-4C84-B292-0CF111BD01B4.jpeg

That data only deals with GGO and a few other measurements, which although a significant diagnostic tool needs to be combined with many more tests before you could start to assess fitness for diving. Spirometry and sats tests would probably be far more relevant to recreational diving. I would think many car racing drivers would have pretty poor GGO results (brake dust, fumes etc) and yet they are in general very fit athletes with no breathing difficulties. I am not at all medically qualified but I have had quite a bit of training over many years regarding industrial diseases particular with regard to welding / hazardous substances and lung function. The person who has commented to me on covid-19 and diving is very well qualified to do so. What has been said far too complex and lengthy to write in a post but it can be summed up very simply. If you feel OK to dive, dive, and until research proves otherwise with specific regard to diving treat covid-19 is same as cold or flu.

Back
Top Bottom