26 k fine for lack of cyl training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

abnfrog

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I read it as the lack of training was lack of forklift training for the forklift driver. That's a big one for OSHA. Didn't see anything in there specifically about cylinder training.

Osha inspectors have a lot of latitude in assigning fines. In theory, a company with a clean history should get small fines for reasonable offenses. Companies with a problematic history should get fined more heavily. In actual practice, I have noticed that certain issues get highlighted at certain times & also certain inspectors are simply more heavy handed, perhaps just because they can be.

I'm a bit confused by this statement: "They stated there were high pressure cylinders within the vehicle for 4 days. They were not in use and their valves were open. They also stated the gas cylinders were a cause of the explosion."

If the valves were open, how was there any gas to cause an explosion? Unless by "open" they mean the protective caps weren't screwed over the valves (assuming industrial cylinders)?

I'm a bit confused by this statement: "They stated there were high pressure cylinders within the vehicle for 4 days. They were not in use and their valves were open. They also stated the gas cylinders were a cause of the explosion."

If the valves were open, how was there any gas to cause an explosion? Unless by "open" they mean the protective caps weren't screwed over the valves (assuming industrial cylinders)?
Maybe a tank used for something? For example, a welding cylinder left open with the torch turned off but attatched. Could also be the whoever's wrote the story got the details wrong.

To bad there isn't a link to the report or a quote from the report to clarify what happened. As it is the point made is to keep a clean orderly workspace and know what you are doing, but most of us have already found that out the hard way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom