Cozumel COVID-19 updates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone landed in Cozumel yet? any reports? i think the first flights were due to land today/yeaterday?

Cozumel mayor posted a Cozumel specific plan (doesn’t seem to differ much from Q Roo). The presentation is nicely put together, but not too much new info.

[http://documentos.cozumel.gob.mx/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/08151806/Reactivacion-economica.pdf]

Kind of hopping between threads , but there is some confusion around beaches (Others are debating it and I don’t know what the right answer is). Theoretically all beaches are public in Mexico by federal law. The plan has public beaches closed at this stage. However the plan has beach clubs partially open as percent of capacity (as well as hotels that obviously depend upon beaches ). I am sure the thinking (which I agree with generally) is their beach clubs/hotels have some sort of established capacity and they can limit customers to that capacity. Hopefully they aren’t saying you can go to club/hotel but can’t go on the beach—while possible they would wind up with very angry tourists There is no point in reopening to tourists without the beaches.

The problem with true public areas outside of the beach clubs is that they don’t have a capacity and don’t have anyone to enforce a capacity/social distancing. It is highly likely if they open up the normal public beaches it will be a free for all with no social distancing. People will want to go to beach with Family/neighbors/cousins etc like normal. That has been played out on beaches around the world I think the administration is justifiably worried , but I am not certain how they legally balance public versus private given the federal law on beaches.

There is no point in reopening to tourists without the beaches.
FWIW, I go to Cozumel at least once a year for a couple of weeks, and I maybe go to a beach once or twice during my visit. I wouldn't miss it much if I couldn't go to a beach.

I'm going in September. I feel like I won't be able to sleep until I get there.

Ministry of Giraffes ,

American has generally been running flights through the crisis although they stopped for ~10 days at end of May early June. One guy reported American Airlines grilled him at DFW on his way down Monday about reason for his trip. This may have been more about lack of return ticket than COVID issue(he actually had MX residency so wasn’t an issue ). I think a lot of US/MX/Canada border restrictions are targeted around land borders (not necessarily air transport)

With luck I can give you a better update regarding air borders this weekend. The only home I own in this world is in Cozumel, hoping to see it in person again ☹️

Thanks. I’m looking more for reports from yesterday onwards as the hotels start to reopen. Generally if it’s as expected or certain aspects are not as advertised I.e. dive boats cancelling due to low numbers, food not available in hotels etc.

I’d be interested in the sanitation of hotels and restaurants. What are they doing that’s evident to the eye or smell.

Anyone landed in Cozumel yet? any reports? i think the first flights were due to land today/yeaterday?
Flights never stopped. AA still flying.. i had 2 freinds flew into coz last saturday.

Thanks. I’m looking more for reports from yesterday onwards as the hotels start to reopen. Generally if it’s as expected or certain aspects are not as advertised I.e. dive boats cancelling due to low numbers, food not available in hotels etc.

My freinds dove yesterday. They took all the govt training and following all requirements. Others will say they are
"illegal " . But just people trying to get back to work. They cant survive 4ever with no money as much as rich expats want to keep it all closed forever. Im heading down in july.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom