Dive tracker/Underwater navigation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm looking for a device that will allow me to get back to the anchor line reliably, or to put on equipment I've left on the bottom . I've read a bit about "dive tracker". Any other suggestions.

I saw a system called Navimate that looks interesting, but still in development.

Thanks,

Ernie

While I am at heart a complete nerd for new and interesting technology and gizmos, getting good with a compass is your best defense for getting back to your anchor. I (personally) view this as technology to fix a problem that is really fixable by developing a skill set. Certainly there would be uses but for the everyday run of the mill recreational diver learning to use a compass is the easiest and best bet.

All of my above mini rant aside though, both of those items look interesting.

Met these guys three years ago on the "boot" water-sports fair, apparently they still lack a sponsor to launch the production.

50-Finger-Spool_RE4820-600x600.jpg

:D

A spool or a line reel is a time tested solution.

If you prefer something more technical though, you could use three sonar buoys and echolocation: https://uwis.fi/en/ (it really works but the price tag might be a bit high for the application you describe)

If you’re doing something like long-distance scootering, handheld GPS in a camera housing on a reel can work. Send it up to the surface, wait a couple mins, reel back down, and see where you are. Repeat. Can set the backtrack function to give you a distance and bearing back to the start point.

It’s a total hassle and complete overkill if you’re just swimming. At that point, compass, reel, or a strobe on the anchor line are probably better solutions. Or if you’re busy filming and can’t really be bothered, bring along a buddy whose job it is to keep track of stuff like that.

Jim

Tagged, I for one, like the idea of using accelerometers to monitor / calculate position.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom