Cozumel diving today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ColoDale

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
First day of diving in Cozumel for me. I dove with a friend who came down yesterday with AA from Charlotte with 13 people on the plane. Their flight came in early and she was out of immigration and customs and waiting for me when I got to the door at the airport.

We dive with Raul (owner/DM) of Bottom Time Divers and have dived with him for over 20 years back to the Blue Bubble days. We were the only two on the boat which right now is the 30% business rule. We left a bit after 8 am for two tanks. We had the impression that afternoon dives were not permitted but when we left the marina we came across divers coming in for afternoon dives and there did not seem to be an issue.

According to protocols, we need to wear masks on the boat and practice distancing. Raul had to go through some training/regulation to operate though I don’t know all the details. He had a large pump container of disinfectant onboard which I believe he has to use after we are done diving. We must take our mask and regulator with us but he can wash other gear using recommended cleaning products.

We arrived at the marina (Fonatur) and they had a brand new chain link fence with barbed wire around the parking area blocking it off so everyone parks on the pavers near it. Not a lot of spaces. The drop off area near the ramp is blocked but the tank shop did get past it. There are what look like security personnel but could be gov’t health or park people (didn’t check closely) walking around with masks and keeping an eye on things.

We have had a lot of rain here the last few weeks and from before TS Cristobal which brushed by. The mosquitoes are thick. Before we mostly had the little black ones but now the big ones are out in force and like the afternoons.

It was overcast today but not much rain. So less ambient light meant some darker photos and different bracketing. We dove Palancar Gardens first and the visibility was down a bit. The reef was dusted with what had come off the island from the rains (not sand so much). From a distance it made it look like coral bleaching but it’s not. The water was warm and the current slow and consistent to the north. Max depth 82 ft for 65 min. The second dive was Cedral Pass with same water temps and slow current. The visibility was very good. 73 min dive time. As I haven't dived since the end of March I had to consciously remind myself how to dive and how to use my camera.

We attempted to use the stone/concrete pier at Palancar beach and found the wood poles in the holes on the pier were not there so the guy working there said he could go look for wood but came back and said he couldn’t find any (there’s a jungle). The beaches are still closed and I suspect all piers but he wouldn’t or couldn’t say. So our surface interval was on the boat. Other boats reported that some other piers at closed beach clubs were not available for use. The visibility of the water in shallower areas was crystal clear.

I expected when diving opened up that I might see dolphins, different kinds of sharks, or anything else that showed up like giant squid or kraken but today I saw the usual suspects for this time of year. I will keep my fingers crossed for the coming week. We did see more and bigger lionfish than in the past and 4 were speared on Palancar with a couple of wily ones getting away. I expected many more lionfish and I would think their numbers deeper have increased as well.

A few photos from today

Banded Coral Shrimp

Coz Jun 2020 Banded Coral Shrimp 001.jpg

Cedral Pass
Coz Jun 2020 Cedral Pass 001.jpg

Goldentail eel
Coz Jun 2020 Goldentail Eel 001.jpg

Green Moray eel and Nurse shark buddies on Cedral Pass. The Moray, for some reason after the photo was taken, decided to come out and chase after my friend. It is possible that she still had the scent of a lionfish on her from the first dive. We think we recognize this moray from it's usual spot on Cedral Wall.

Coz Jun 2020 Green Moray Eel Nurse Shark 001.jpg

Only one small hawksbill today.

Coz Jun 2020 Hawksbill Turtle 001.jpg

Lionfish and good size
Coz Jun 2020 Lionfish 001.jpg

Red Hind
Coz Jun 2020 Red Hind 001.jpg

Awesome, thanks for posting.

lucky you and your dive buddy! Thanks for sharing your dive with us. Enjoyed the pictures.

thanks for the post and pics. now i'm just counting the days...

Second day of diving. Santa Rosa and Tunich. Dive times 62 and 67 minutes. Water temps 82F. Visibility still down a bit. Overcast with scattered rain showers. Less boats out today than yesterday.

Raul found two juvenile spotted drums that were the size of mosquitoes and I could not get a good focus on either no matter how many shots I took. Many splendid toadfish today but most were far back in their holes and not croaking. We saw only a few lionfish and all were very small. Raul tried to get a toadfish to eat one he speared but it had no interest whatsoever. He ended up giving it to a snapper. Fish life did not seem as active today on these reefs as those yesterday with turtles, eel and sharks all in holes or under something.

The photo of the turtle with the stump was done while I was taking a photo of a green moray eel on Tunich and the turtle must have been far in the back of the overhang and just came out. The eel photos were unimpressive and full of backscatter.

Mosquitoes are still very thick here.

Hawksbill turtle

Coz Jun 2020 Hawksbill Turtle 002.jpg

Juvenile Gray Angelfish and Bicolor Damselfish

Coz Jun 2020 Juv Gray Angelfish bicolor damselfish 001.jpg

Hawksbill turtle with a missing limb
Coz Jun 2020 Hawksbill Turtle 003.jpg

Spotted Cleaner shrimp
Coz Jun 2020 Spotted Cleaner Shrimp 001.jpg

Sunlight when there were fewer clouds

Coz Jun 2020 sun seascape 001.jpg

Hind at a cleaning station
Coz Jun 2020 Red Hind cleaning station 002.jpg

Third Day of diving. Three more to go.
First dive at Colombia. Overcast so a little dark with good visibility until the end of the dive. Healthy coral. We left at 8 am and had only a few other boats in the southern area that left earlier. Slow to non-existent current and water was a little cooler - I am guessing around 80F. 58 minutes dive time. We had two Hawksbill and one Green turtle on the dive but all I got was turtle butt so no good photos. Raul speared a couple of lionfish which he would take home to eat. I had forgotten about the good swim throughs at Colombia.

Surface interval on the boat.

Second dive was the end of La Francesa into Dalila. Healthy coral and warm water. Good visibility. I found a large Green Moray which disappeared into the coral so it took awhile to find it again. We saw a single nurse shark in the open but it did not linger.
Raul speared a small black lionfish and fed that to a Queen Triggerfish which devoured it, spines and all and came back for more. At the begining of the dive we found a Lesser Electric ray perched on some coral.
I spent a bit of time going up and down the sand channels looking for small stuff like pipehorses, pipefish, slugs, etc and to stay out of deco. Unfortunately I didn't see any but did see many small fish. 74 minutes dive time.

Intermittent rainstorms still and the mosquitoes are thick and hungry.

We made reservations at Guidos for all of us tomorrow. Looking forward to it. Guidos said the seating is only in the outdoor area only. We did have them deliver a few times during quarantine.

Smooth Trunkfish
Coz Jun 2020 Smooth Trunkfish 001.jpg

Channel Crab
Coz Jun 2020 Channel Crab 001.jpg

Green Moray Eel
Coz Jun 2020 Green Moray Eel 002.jpg

Goldentail Eel
Coz Jun 2020 Goldentail Eel 002.jpg

Lesser Electric Ray
Coz Jun 2020 Lesser Electric Ray 001.jpg

Coral when we finished up Colombia
Coz Jun 2020 sun seascape 002.jpg

Attachments

• Coz Jun 2020 Seascape 001.jpg
    Coz Jun 2020 Seascape 001.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 173
Second day of diving. Santa Rosa and Tunich. Dive times 62 and 67 minutes. Water temps 82F. Visibility still down a bit. Overcast with scattered rain showers. Less boats out today than yesterday.

Raul found two juvenile spotted drums that were the size of mosquitoes and I could not get a good focus on either no matter how many shots I took. Many splendid toadfish today but most were far back in their holes and not croaking. We saw only a few lionfish and all were very small. Raul tried to get a toadfish to eat one he speared but it had no interest whatsoever. He ended up giving it to a snapper. Fish life did not seem as active today on these reefs as those yesterday with turtles, eel and sharks all in holes or under something.

The photo of the turtle with the stump was done while I was taking a photo of a green moray eel on Tunich and the turtle must have been far in the back of the overhang and just came out. The eel photos were unimpressive and full of backscatter.

Mosquitoes are still very thick here.

Hawksbill turtle

View attachment 592168

Juvenile Gray Angelfish and Bicolor Damselfish

View attachment 592169

Hawksbill turtle with a missing limb
View attachment 592170

Spotted Cleaner shrimp
View attachment 592171

Sunlight when there were fewer clouds

View attachment 592172

Hind at a cleaning station
View attachment 592173

The little hawksbill turtle with the stump has been on tuniche for about 5 years now. I have photos of him when he was about 18 inches long. We named him Terry, after a one legged marathon runner who tried to run across Canada... Terry Fox.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom