Any news on when Roatan will reopen?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kimela

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I looked at their tourism page and there's nothing updated. Anyone living there with current info? Sorry if the info is out there on SB and I missed it.

I saw Camp Bay Lodge post on facebook a few days ago that the island reopens on July 15th.

We got an email from Utopia Village about two weeks ago indicating mid-July, as well.

I read that the Governor was planning to allow international flights on July 15, but then a group from mainland Honduras snuck onto the island. Now they are reporting 12 positive cases and the Governor said on May 29 video that he "has his fingers crossed" for August

I read that the Governor was planning to allow international flights on July 15, but then a group from mainland Honduras snuck onto the island. Now they are reporting 12 positive cases and the Governor said on May 29 video that he "has his fingers crossed" for August
Ouch

Some islands are having a 14 day quarantine at government specified site taken there directly from the airport. After that, then you can go to your dive resort.

I messaged someone on the island and they also confirmed there have been recent cases and the count is going up. I hope they're able to contain it quickly and keep it from spreading. I can't imagine how negatively this is impacting their economy.

We just heard back from Utopia Village and the mid-July reopening is for internal (i.e., non-international) only. "There is not yet a predicted date for the resumption of international flights to Honduras but we did hear that it is not likely to happen during the next three months." I should also note that Utopia Village has been truly wonderful throughout all of this. Very good with communication, transparency, and flexibility.

We remain Covid-19 free on Utila but Roatan isn't. Utila residents and the navy are patrolling the island in boats to stop people from Roatan or the mainland from trying to sneak onto our island.

This whole situation is heartbreaking.

Back
Top Bottom