Sinus problem and headache.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

David403

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey there!

Iv been diving for almost 6 years, working as a dive master in Thailand and now about to start an instructor course in Japan!
Last year I went back to Thailand to dive for a week and endured sinus squeeze (I think) and migraines after the dives, they went away after about an hour, I guess when the pressure released properly or I took Ibuprofen.
I dove again three or so months later in japan and encountered the same problem.
Half a year later I’m getting ready to start my instructor course and still I get sharp pains when I go down and migraines when I Surface.
It’s not my equalization techniques I’ve tried them all and anyway my ears do equalize fine. My ears give me no problem! It’s my forehead in particular I have pain.
My ears have been cleaned and I can breath perfectly through both nostrils.
Can someone please give me some help!?
I have a great job opportunity here and would hate to have to turn it down because of the pain ☹️☹️☹️.

It’s not a cold so it’s not the case I have to wait until I get better. I need something to remedy this. Someone suggested to me that my ostium might have narrowed for some reason and I can do procedures to widen them back up?

Thank you!

It's most likley a restricted sinus passage(s) in your forehead. Have you tried Sudafed on a dive to see if that helps at all? I know it is frowned upon and carries risks but many use it when necessary if you manage dosage and timing. An ENT should be able to do imaging to determine if you have restricted sinus passages or a physical anomaly causing the issue.

When I first started diving I had this all the time. Sudafed helps prevent it for me.

Look up the “neilmed sinus rinse”. It’s basically a modern version of the neti pot. Since I started using it, my sinuses have improved dramatically. I don’t need to take Sudafed anymore if I use it.

I’m not a doctor (actually I am just not the medical kind...) but what I think is happening is you have some chronic inflammation in your sinuses, and when you’re diving it causes the inflammation to increase and then your sinus cavities can’t equalize. Using a salt water rinse helps reduce the inflammation.

Hey there!

Iv been diving for almost 6 years, working as a dive master in Thailand and now about to start an instructor course in Japan!
Last year I went back to Thailand to dive for a week and endured sinus squeeze (I think) and migraines after the dives, they went away after about an hour, I guess when the pressure released properly or I took Ibuprofen.
I dove again three or so months later in japan and encountered the same problem.
Half a year later I’m getting ready to start my instructor course and still I get sharp pains when I go down and migraines when I Surface.
It’s not my equalization techniques I’ve tried them all and anyway my ears do equalize fine. My ears give me no problem! It’s my forehead in particular I have pain.
My ears have been cleaned and I can breath perfectly through both nostrils.
Can someone please give me some help!?
I have a great job opportunity here and would hate to have to turn it down because of the pain ☹️☹️☹️.

It’s not a cold so it’s not the case I have to wait until I get better. I need something to remedy this. Someone suggested to me that my ostium might have narrowed for some reason and I can do procedures to widen them back up?

Thank you!

Hi @David403 ,

Pain in the forehead with pressure changes suggests that you may have problems with the frontal sinuses. Concur with @drk5036 above in that this may be an indicator of chronic inflammation, possibly due to an external irritant / allergen. It may also be an anatomic obstruction like a nasal polyp or, as you mentioned, a restricted meatus (opening of the sinus); a visit to an otolaryngologist would help in ruling this in or out.

If it's chronic inflammation, there are a few things you can do to mitigate it, some of which are mentioned above. Be careful with the NeilMed; use only distilled water, or tap water that has been previously boiled. If you use a medication, read all package directions and consult your physician if you have questions about side effects or medication interactions.

Best regards,
DDM

Back
Top Bottom