Surface Intervals while on Holiday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've spent a ton of time researching computers, but don't have my own yet. I'm looking at Shearwater, because in the US their warranty support is *amazing* and I'm a geek who loves high-tech gadgets and have the budget for them. I don't know what's popular and well supported in Malaysia, or what your budget is.

Also, I've only got 20 dives under my belt myself. I understand the theory really well, but don't have the actual experience to back it up. And with no travel available, my local dive options are in the Atlantic off the coast of Maine. Right now the water is 55 F / 13 C. It might get as warm as 65 F / 18 C later this summer. So... enjoy those trips!

Hahahah tell me about it, I’ve lived in the UK and diving in a dry suit is almost mandatory as the water gets real cold there. Not sure if it gets colder than Maine though.

To be honest, Aqua Lung is hugely popular in SouthEast Asia. However, aqua lung computers don’t really interest me too much. I have had my eye on the Suunto D5 for a while but have seen mixed reviews about it

there are good recreational computers for reasonable prices. i have 2 suunto gekkos, a suunto zoop, and recently picked up an aqualung watch style that they were blowin out.
i would hold off on buying anything too complex or expensive. you don't need it. if/when you decide to go more advanced, there are always lots of high quality used tech computers avail

I'm going to be a bit contentious here.... so ball me out guys if you want to.....

You absolutely should invest in a dive computer if you're planning on diving the sort of numbers you're talking about, but if you're planning on diving from a liveaboard, which has a regular schedule, dive with a dive pro, stay hydrated etc, the schedules they have are typically more than fine for divers. Where people tend to get into trouble is if they're unfit/overweight, dehydrated or drank to much alcohol... and then push the limits, which all contribute massively to DCI. So the point I am making is don't worry about it too much, but get a computer.

The contentious point - There is nothing wrong with doing your deepest dives later in the day! There I said it. It's referred to as reverse profiling and as long as your dives are adequately planned and executed....it can be done and is totally safe. I say this because many newer divers are taught these 'rules' but not taught why they are rules of thumb (as opposed to "rules"). Just be aware of the schedule for the day and work with the pro's on the boats to plan your dives. If you're feeling less than 100%, particularly if its a hot day and you're potentially a little dehydrated - skip the dive! There is nothing macho about doing them all and then being ill. The number of dives you're planning to do in a short period of time will be challenging for a newbie and your body will take a hell of a pounding - I would anticipate that by the end you'll be feeling it.

there are good recreational computers for reasonable prices. i have 2 suunto gekkos, a suunto zoop, and recently picked up an aqualung watch style that they were blowin out.
i would hold off on buying anything too complex or expensive. you don't need it. if/when you decide to go more advanced, there are always lots of high quality used tech computers avail

Good call Riskster - I'd also add in there the Cressi Leonardo, which we use at the shop and are nigh on bullet proof too, and for $200 a real no-brainer

haha thx gary.
nothing wrong at all with what you posted. the only thing i would say is that i think it just keeps it more simple and easier for a new diver to tell them that "typically", most dive series are planned to do the deeper dive first.
kinda like telling them they can never hold their breath. in reality this is not always the case. but it is easier / safer to teach a new diver this rather than complicate the matter.

Thank you both for your input. Yeah makes sense because I’ve heard both sides from my own research though in my teachings, we were always taught to do the deepest dive first. But I guess I will learn more the further I progress in diving. Also want to know what are your opinions on the Suunto D5 as my first dive computer?

Ignore my previous message, it seems I should stay clear of the D5 for now and look for a more efficient entry-level computer (Too many mixed reviews which has dropped my confidence in it).

Ignore my previous message, it seems I should stay clear of the D5 for now and look for a more efficient entry-level computer (Too many mixed reviews which has dropped my confidence in it).
The main points of what were said here are correct.

Get a dive computer.
Make sure you leave 18-24 hours between your last dive and your flight.
Reverse profiles don't matter, as long as your using AND FOLLOWING your computer. The reason reverse profiles are to be avoided is you probably want as much bottom time as you can get, and since deep dives eat away at that more, it's better to do them first.

Regarding the computer, it seems to me that there's really only two options: a cheap computer than can do everything you need as a rec diver (Mares Puck, Aqualung i300, Suunto Zoop, Cressi Leonardo) for around 200 dollars, or get a Shearwater that can do literally everything you would need for any kind of diving, for 850+. Anything in the middle is a waste of money.

If you can use nitrox, use nitrox. I don't know why you said because you're diving for a long trip it won't make any difference; those kind of trips make the MOST difference. Especially if you are worried about DCI, just dive with regular air tables with nitrox will give you a ton of safety cushion (just be careful of your depth).

The main points of what were said here are correct.

Get a dive computer.
Make sure you leave 18-24 hours between your last dive and your flight.
Reverse profiles don't matter, as long as your using AND FOLLOWING your computer. The reason reverse profiles are to be avoided is you probably want as much bottom time as you can get, and since deep dives eat away at that more, it's better to do them first.

Regarding the computer, it seems to me that there's really only two options: a cheap computer than can do everything you need as a rec diver (Mares Puck, Aqualung i300, Suunto Zoop, Cressi Leonardo) for around 200 dollars, or get a Shearwater that can do literally everything you would need for any kind of diving, for 850+. Anything in the middle is a waste of money.

If you can use nitrox, use nitrox. I don't know why you said because you're diving for a long trip it won't make any difference; those kind of trips make the MOST difference. Especially if you are worried about DCI, just dive with regular air tables with nitrox will give you a ton of safety cushion (just be careful of your depth).

This, to me, is more to the point.... If you want a D5, go for it! If you want a Shearwater, Aqualung DC, Zoop, or any other dive computer, then go for it! Sure, folks have their pluses and minuses of each comp, and that's cool, but the most important is to Follow the computer, which ever it is....

When they talk about doing the deepest dive first, they are talking about each day, not at the beginning of a “trip.” It sounds like there may be confusion there.

That is an older way of thinking of things and my understanding is it is leftover from diving tables. If you work through 2 dives on the tables, putting the deeper one first will probably allow you more time and look more conservative. It is an artifact of the tables. Diving with a computer, which more accurately tracks what you are actually doing, is different.
It’s not a bad idea to generally keep with it, but IMO no need to be losing a lot of sleep over it. If you’re diving with an op you’ll find most generally plan deeper dives first each day, so you’ll be doing it anyway.
Now deepest part of each individual dive first, that is something you do generally want to do.

Back
Top Bottom