Choosing a 7mm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have those same boots. I’ll take out the inserts as you suggest and see if they’re any wider that way.

I have those same boots. I’ll take out the inserts as you suggest and see if they’re any wider that way.

Interesting. I will check mine tonight and see if there is a specific size. According to the Shops, these are the widest boots they know of. Need to start a Revolution for People with Big feet.

If you haven't dropped any cash yet I would recommend taking a look at the Waterproof Combat SD semi-dry. It is rugged, comfortable, and does a good job keeping one fairly dry and warm.

-Z

I recommend that you get one of these hooded vests to go over your 7mm suit. This is what I dove before I got a drysuit.
7MM Step-in Hooded Vest - BARE Wetsuits and Drysuits

So you wear a 7mm Vest and hood, over a 7mm Wetsuit? Do I need to dive Steel Double LP108's for proper weighting?

If you haven't dropped any cash yet I would recommend taking a look at the Waterproof Combat SD semi-dry. It is rugged, comfortable, and does a good job keeping one fairly dry and warm.
-Z

Yeppers, money gone, suit delivered today.

You can dive a 7 + 7 in cold water. This is referred to as 14mm. It’s pretty uncomfortable in my experience and ended up in a dry suit. Lots of lead needed.

I dive a Bare Velocity 7mm with a Neosport 5/3 hooded vest, XS Scuba dry 5 gloves, 7mm boots, plus thin neoprene socks. That keeps me alright for one long dive down to about 50 degrees F. (Had that combination down to 47F -- was cold, then didn't feel anything at all -- not sure if that's a good thing.) Second dive is OK if weather is warm. If you are normally diving aluminum 80s in salt water, using steel tanks in fresh water might not result in a huge weight difference.

Seriously, though, keep your hands warm and a hooded vest helps avoid cold water down the back of your neck. (If you get the Neosport hooded vest, check and make sure the vent works, or you will get balloon head -- I had to poke through the hole.)

I just bought a drysuit.

@AustinV, @drk5036, @Ontwreckdiver, @tridacna, Just wanted to say thank you to all of you for your help and advice. On the 31st of May I dove Pompano Beaches 84degree water. Fast-forward 1 week and I was in the St Lawrence River and is 56 degree water. I used a Bare 7mm, with Mares 5mm gloves and a HOG3/2 hood. I felt very good in the water. Sadly I folded down the top while on the boat between dives, then realized I left my town in the car. So second dive was colder. couple days later had another nice dive. Interesting note. I never got my weight down, just not enough dives, but I sank like a rock with a Steel HP100 and 8lbs of weight. started at 16, then 12 and end the trip on 8. Was still holding down the inflator pretty good. Another semi happy note I ended the dives with more air then anyone else, wet or dry suits. The sad part was I ended every dive with around 1600lbs even my deepest dive to 102 feet. Rest of the diver where under 1000. Not sure if it was the new HOG Regulators (swapped for my Atomic) or what. Either way, good trip. Going to stay longer next summer.

@AustinV, @drk5036, @Ontwreckdiver, @tridacna, Just wanted to say thank you to all of you for your help and advice. On the 31st of May I dove Pompano Beaches 84degree water. Fast-forward 1 week and I was in the St Lawrence River and is 56 degree water. I used a Bare 7mm, with Mares 5mm gloves and a HOG3/2 hood. I felt very good in the water. Sadly I folded down the top while on the boat between dives, then realized I left my town in the car. So second dive was colder. couple days later had another nice dive. Interesting note. I never got my weight down, just not enough dives, but I sank like a rock with a Steel HP100 and 8lbs of weight. started at 16, then 12 and end the trip on 8. Was still holding down the inflator pretty good. Another semi happy note I ended the dives with more air then anyone else, wet or dry suits. The sad part was I ended every dive with around 1600lbs even my deepest dive to 102 feet. Rest of the diver where under 1000. Not sure if it was the new HOG Regulators (swapped for my Atomic) or what. Either way, good trip. Going to stay longer next summer.
Which Bare 7mm did you purchase? I'm looking at the Reactive and the Velocity 7mm's.

my wife and I dive Tobermory a couple times a year in a hollis neotek on the shallower stuff (55° ish) and with an added 7 mm step in vest for the deeper stuff (40° ish). its okay on hot summer days, but sucks if the weather topside isn't conducive of warming up fast. we got smoking deals on the suits brand new, and they really are great semidrys but with that said, we're ordering seaskins for next year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom