Looking for suggestions on Sidemount AI pod setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you must have a backup to the transmitter, have you considered button gauges? You could put them on top of the regs, with the transmitters pointing down, and then you wouldn't have anything sticking out annoyingly.
I found that to be very annoying, button gauges sticking into my armpits.

I found that to be very annoying, button gauges sticking into my armpits.
But the hoses, valves, posts, etc are NOT annoying?

I removed the button gauges the second time one got caught in my shoulder d-ring. I often find I have to learn things on my own even after the more experienced divers have tried to tell me. JohnnyC always warned about the poor quality and reliability of the button gauges but I figured I would take the chance. Nobody ever mentioned that they can fit perfectly inside the d-ring and then hang up there like a barbed hook.

If you must have a backup to the transmitter, have you considered button gauges? You could put them on top of the regs, with the transmitters pointing down, and then you wouldn't have anything sticking out annoyingly.

I have button gauges pointing up/fwd. and the AI pods on 9” hoses. I keep a loop of bungee around the tank valve so I can bend the 9” inboard and keep them from being the the middle of a Tank/Rock sandwich.

I’ve been using this for about 6 months without any issue.

I get that the button gauge is probably not needed, but I like being able to do a quick check on tank pressure without turning the computer on.

I'm a fan of putting the transmitter down and a button gauge facing up. I've used this configuration for a few years and have never (not yet anyway) had any problems with the button gauge catching on anything, and the convenience factor of seeing an approximate tank pressure without firing up my AI computer is a big, big plus.

If you really, really want full-size gauges, I'd lollipop them off the top HP port. If I did that, though, I'd also angle the first stages at about 45* and aim the gauges at my chin rather than straight up at my shoulders.

As mentioned, ditch the SPGs, run the transmitters on 6” hose, down the tank, use gas planning as back up for the transmitters.....they should just confirm what you already know.

Not to get this off topic...new sidemount diver here...
Im guessing you have to remember to swtich your computer everytime you swap between your left and right tank...I dont believe there is a setting or a computer that records the data from both tank pods at the same time correct?

Not to get this off topic...new sidemount diver here...
Im guessing you have to remember to swtich your computer everytime you swap between your left and right tank...I dont believe there is a setting or a computer that records the data from both tank pods at the same time correct?
For the Teric, you have 4 areas to customize on the home screen in standard layout, OC Rec mode. You can display T1, T2, or T1/T2. I assume OC Tec mode also has either 3 or 4 areas for customization.

upload_2020-6-24_14-51-1.png

I may have misinterpreted your question when I responded to recording the pressure data from both cylinders. You are correct, the SAC and GTR are just from one of the cylinders

Back
Top Bottom