K valve design question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It isn’t always. For example, none of these seem to be:

Valves, Modular Valves, and Manifolds | Dive Gear Express®

Only a couple of mine are.

I think the obvious answer is to create a little more space between the regulator and the valve handle. But it literally could be as simple as some designer thought they should make a change so their valve would be different! :)

Now that I think about it, that also seems to be some thing that is different between convertible valves and the older yoke only valves. In my mind, I think of that slight slant as marking it as an older valve.

Of course, I have a bunch of J valves, and the two knobs are perfectly in line on those, so that’s an even older style! :) maybe that’s why they added the slant: to differentiate it from the J valves?

I have an old J valve tank but this K valve is a new valve on a new tank....

Do you mean like this?

s-l500.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

It's not bent down, it is bent to the side just at a slight angle. Trying to get a pic of it now.

The K-valve got its name in 1953, but it existed well before that. Since then, there have been many minor variations in its shape.

It's not bent down, it is bent to the side just at a slight angle. Trying to get a pic of it now.

Some of them are angled back away from the diver, and that is probably a clearance choice from the engineers, particularly with DIN regulators that sit closer to the plane of the valve knob.

Could be a function of the air pathway in the valve, but @tbone1004 makes a good case.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom