Anyone dove with halcyon regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have the option to buy halcyon halos with either diaphragm hd 50 or piston hd 75 for $250 a stage. The 2019 updated versions. My question is has anyone dove with them. Are they easy breathers? I dive salt water and local lakes so it was recommended that I go with the diaphragm 1st stage. I have always heard pistons breathe easier though. Anyone that has experience with them, I’d appreciate your thoughts.

I have the option to buy halcyon halos with either diaphragm hd 50 or piston hd 75 for $250 a stage. The 2019 updated versions. My question is has anyone dove with them. Are they easy breathers? I dive salt water and local lakes so it was recommended that I go with the diaphragm 1st stage. I have always heard pistons breathe easier though. Anyone that has experience with them, I’d appreciate your thoughts.
They’re Scubapro regs and you won’t be able to tell a difference breathing them. I’d go with the MK17 equivalent (HD50). The HD75 is a MK25 and of comparable performance.

You won't be able to tell the difference in breathing. I have older versions of both SP. The diaphragm is more protected from the environment. I'd also recommend that version.

Both are great regs and can handle cold water and silt. I use mk17s (hd50) with my doubles and think they're great others prefer the mk25s (hd75). Apart from the diaphragm vs piston difference, the hoses route differently too, which is a consideration. The end lp port on the mk25/hd75 helps with some hose routing configurations.

are they the old style or new style 2nd stages? the old style that looked like a g250v with a blue H looked way better

halcyon-halo.jpg download (3).jpg download (4).jpg
halcyon-halo.jpg
download (3).jpg
download (4).jpg
Ain't that a fact, really makes you wonder

Newer and way uglier. They apparently
changed the main diaphragm on the second stage, what difference that actually made I've no idea but I guess they had do more than just ugly it up to call it a "new".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom