Quick poll—When do you inflate your SMB?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Curious, do you inflate your surface marker buoy before you start your safety stop or during your safety stop?

Experienced divers, before or during?

Thanks
A SMB is inflated before you get in the water, see image
Beaver-Round-Surface-Marker-Buoy_2000x.jpg

But I deploy a DSMB anywhere from 30m+ to 6m dependant on the dive plan.

If I've missed a wreck, or been taken off by the current, I'll deploy from the bottom 35-40m so the boat knows where I am.

I was recently separated from my group (4 of us) due to current and low visibility on a 20 meter wreck dive. Not knowing how far off I was I deployed my DSMB at 19M. I quickly learned I do not have 19M worth of string on my reel. I was about 3 meters short. I used the reel to pull me up to a safety atop then the rest of the way to the surface. Strongly recommend you measure the string length on your DSMB. Even if you don't plan on deploying at depth it's good to know what you have.

Before the thread gets derailed with definitions...

How do you classify an SMB from a DSMB? - DIVEIN.com

Common practice on SB is a towed marker with required flag is a “dive flag” and a marker deployed during dive is a SMB or DSMB (you will often seen the terms used interchangeably). As pointed out a SMB is any marker on the surface. You may also see the term safety sausage used, especially for the smaller markers intended to be inflated at or near the surface.

Since you are in Florida I will share the way Eric and I use our markers there. When we were very new divers and had never seen SMBs before the boat gave us small ones that we could deploy at the surface (safety sausage) if we separated from the towed flag. As we developed as divers and did surface away from the group and even more so when we started solo diving, we bought our own and learned to deploy at depth.

Eric’s preference is to shoot at the beginning of his safety stop. I like to send mine up just as I start my ascent. Personal preference and neither is right nor wrong. There are pros and cons to both.

Strongly recommend you measure the string length on your DSMB. Even if you don't plan on deploying at depth it's good to know what you have.

It's also a good time to check the line is attached to the reel. I'm sure they all are because no one would supply them otherwise, would they?

Overall, I deploy a DSMB relatively infrequently, as most of my diving is in Boynton Beach, and I carry my own flag. However, when I dive in West Palm or Jupiter, I frequently end up separated from the guide, with the only flag for the group. In that case, I deploy my DSMB. I tend to deploy it earlier/deeper when the current is brisk and I will cover more ground during my ascent and safety stop. This gives the boat more time to spot and follow me for pickup. It also happens to make it easier to get a good fill of the marker. I also tend to deploy earlier when seas are up, for the same reason..

Protip (disclaimer not a pro)....

See how many breaths it takes to inflate your smb on the surface.... then do simple math for 15ft, 33fsw, etc.

I had replaced my smb last year and had to use it when me another diver and I split off from a DM led group. I think the new smb that was a tad wider. Long story short, it surfaced like a limp noodle when launched from about 20fsw.

Deeper is always easier. As others have mentioned, it can depend on the dive itself, but I typically shoot from 80 or 90'. At that depth, you just need to fill it a little more than a 1/4 full, and it'll be fully inflated at the surface. On a lot of dives I would shoot from even deeper, but I try to avoid hitting the end of the line on my 100' finger spool.

The main caveat to these is to follow the instructions from the Skipper / Crew so they are not confused by your actions.

Regardless of how you normally do it, Graeme is correct.

A SMB is inflated before you get in the water, see image
View attachment 593210

But I deploy a DSMB anywhere from 30m+ to 6m dependant on the dive plan.

If I've missed a wreck, or been taken off by the current, I'll deploy from the bottom 35-40m so the boat knows where I am.

ok, a DSMB. In Fla you must have one. I use mine at the end of the drift dive if the guide is still under.

Before the thread gets derailed with definitions...

How do you classify an SMB from a DSMB? - DIVEIN.com

Common practice on SB is a towed marker with required flag is a “dive flag” and a marker deployed during dive is a SMB or DSMB (you will often seen the terms used interchangeably). As pointed out a SMB is any marker on the surface. You may also see the term safety sausage used, especially for the smaller markers intended to be inflated at or near the surface.

Since you are in Florida I will share the way Eric and I use our markers there. When we were very new divers and had never seen SMBs before the boat gave us small ones that we could deploy at the surface (safety sausage) if we separated from the towed flag. As we developed as divers and did surface away from the group and even more so were we started solo diving, we bought our own and learned to deploy at depth.

Eric’s preference is to shoot at the beginning of his safety stop. I like to send mine up just as I start my ascent. Personal preference and neither is right nor wrong. There are pros and cons to both.

Thanks. I meant DSMB.

Protip (disclaimer not a pro)....

See how many breaths it takes to inflate your smb on the surface.... then do simple math for 15ft, 33fsw, etc.

I had replaced my smb last year and had to use it when me another diver and I split off from a DM led group. I think the new smb that was a tad wider. Long story short, it surfaced like a limp noodle when launched from about 20fsw.

You can also do the same by drawing lines, or guesstimating, at 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, etc. for full at 33, 66, 100, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom