Catfish in Gloucester harbor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mello-yellow

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Two days ago not far from Stage Fort Park I saw a fish about 50 cm long, which I would swear was a freshwater catfish, barbells and all. It looked very much like this:

92220821-head-of-the-catfish-in-the-fish-tank.jpg

Definitely does not belong in New England, but also does not look like an unfortunate tropical Gulfstream occasionally drags here. Any idea what it could be? Next time I will bring a GoPro, just in case it is still there.

Of course it could be just an ordinary freshwater catfish that decided to commit suicide by osmosis.

Possibly a hardhead catfish? This saltwater species normally ranges all the way up to the mid-Atlantic region. It wouldn't be a huge stretch to find a stray up your way.

I would say a hardhead as well. I’ve only seen them in the GoM, but that’s the vast majority of my diving as well.

I'm going off off barbells being the most distinguishing feature. Water is still cold up here - even in somewhere fairly shallow and protected like Fort Stage Park (nearest buoy data for anyone interested). I'd be surprised if any midatlantic and southern fish have made the cape cod crossing yet but I'm no fish so it absolutely could be some poor bastard from warmer waters. Assuming its something somewhat local and based on your description i'd say maybe a red or spotted hake. More of a stretch but maybe a sea robin or a northern kingfish? They are up here occasionally but don't quite fit what you described beyond the barbells. Even more of a stretch given their habitat but maybe a cusk or a young cod.

I googled "hardhead catfish" and it definitely looks right.

Back
Top Bottom