Taiwanese & Korean dead - Xiaoliuqiu Island, Taiwan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Body of Taiwanese tourist diver found on Green Island - Focus Taiwan
Taipei, June 21 (CNA) A body found a day earlier on the shore of Green Island off Taiwan's east coast was that of a Taiwanese diver who went missing near Xiaoliuqiu Island off the southwestern coast seven days ago, Coast guard officers confirmed Sunday.

The man, surnamed Wu (巫), from Changhua, was identified by his family, according to officers of the Coast Guard Administration's eastern branch.

Wu and a South Korean man went diving near Xiaoliuqiu on June 14, with the Korean tourist's body found lying face down on the seabed the following day, while the Taiwanese man remained missing.

Wu's family asked for public help search for him and coast guard officers found his body Saturday afternoon on the shore of a hot spring resort on Green Island.

Wu was aged about 50-60. He was wearing a diving suit and a pair of non-slip diving boots, with a watch on his left wrist, the officers said.

The body was was taken to the Taitung funeral house and the Taitung District Prosecutors Office will investigate the exact cause of death.

On Wednesday, Wu's family in a Facebook post offered a reward of NT$1 million (US$33,754) for help in finding the missing man, and NT$200,000 for help in finding his body, until it identified the body early Sunday as that of Wu.

They were two snorkelers or free divers I’m not 100% clear which, the first (Korean) was found in XiaoLiuqiu by scuba divers on the day they went missing, the 2nd body (Taiwanese not Thai) was found washed up on the shore in Green island a couple days later which is about 120miles, suspect dragged by the kuroshio ocean current

Taiwanese not Thai
OK, thanks. We actually had an exchange student from Thailand once years ago, but that never came up. We just called her by her name.

OK, thanks. We actually had an exchange student from Thailand once years ago, but that never came up. We just called her by her name.

Yeah it's a very common mistake a lot of Westerners, especially Americans make.

Not sure if that was the spellcheck kicking in, Taiwan and Thailand are two different countries.
Thailand > Thai
Taiwan > Taiwanese
Ah ha! It was more of me confusing the two countries. I've never been to either and I slipped. So a citizen from Thailand is called a Thai, but the news story I quote actually says Taiwanese diver. Not one of my better reports.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom